New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot use scan function from Mac Book Pro using Canon MF8380Cdw

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aurenem

aurenem is on a distinguished road

I have a Canon MF8380Cdw multifunction printer, which is use as a network printer with my Mac Book Pro. I can print from my my Mac Book, but I cannot scan.

The Canon MF Toolbox appears in my applications, but the application won't open, as it says that there are "no available scanners found".

I installed all new drivers from the canon website because I was sick of the scanner not working, but this just made things worse.

What can I do to get this working correctly?!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

I have the same printer and the Scan to computer thing is just a pain to get working. I did manage to get it working but found that the settings were all a mess and the images that it yielded were just too huge or messy.

I've found using the Scan to memory device (and using a USB flash drive) yields much better results overall and is way faster.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
aurenem

aurenem is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply. I did actually scan my documents to a USB flash drive and it was way faster than doing it through the computer.

It is ridiculous that it is such a pain to try to use this with my Mac Book.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I have both a iMac and my wife's Windows laptop connected to this printer and let me tell you that scanning to Windows is no better. So it isn't as much a Mac thing as it is a Canon thing.

It initially took me SO long just to figure out how to switch from scanning from the flatbed to the document tray while scanning to my computer. While scanning to the USB flash drive it seems to automatically figure out where the original document is placed, why they can't do the same with the scan to computer is beyond me..

Plus, as I said earlier, the resulting PDF that the MF Toolbox creates is some huge thing based on the DPI settings and I had try a bunch of different combinations to get something decent and even then it was nasty looking.

The printer does a MUCH better job creating a compact (and correct) PDF than the software it seems..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Macbook Pro, Having trouble getting photos from old computer | Download trouble »