New Macbook Pro, Having trouble getting photos from old computer
    I just upgraded from a 2010 macbook pro to one with new retina display. I have all my old files backed up on an external hard drive, through time machine. I've been told that the new macbook pro has a little less storage then the old one. That being said, when I was setting up my new computer, there is not enough room for ALL my photos from iPhoto. I am willing to delete some of them, but it won't let me pick and choose which photos to access. How can I get around this?

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    I'd recommend using the Time Machine app on your Mac to locate the iPhoto library (typically in the Pictures folder). Copy the whole library to a new folder on your external drive.

Now open iPhoto holding option as you do. you'll be asked to select a library. Navigate to the library you just copied to your new folder on the external drive. You can now access and use the library in the normal way.

You can choose to export some images etc and then create a n ew library but I'd suggest that running your iPhoto library from the external gives you a solution that means you don't need to delete anything.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thank you so much for this! I believe I have sorted it out. Appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Cheers

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Glad you've got it working. Thanks for posting back.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information