New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard will not boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xandarsn

xandarsn is on a distinguished road

Hey, so Snow Leopard froze temporarily on my Macbook Pro and without warning when I was using it, temporarily unfreezing long enough for me to shut the computer down.

When I attempted to turn it back on, I was trapped at a white screen with the grey apple and the rotating progress circle, indefinitely.

I attempted to solve the issue in a variety of ways recommended on this forum and other sources of information, but have yet to resolve the problem.

I have attempted to place my original install DVD and boot from that, using both the C key and the Option key on startup, with each option disregarding, then ejecting the DVD and leaving me at the screen described above.

I then attempted, on the recommendation of support.apple to boot in safe mode, unsuccessfully, leading me to the screen described above again and again.

I started in both single user and verbose mode, attempting to utilize /sbin/fsck -fy to resolve the issue, upon recommendation of support.apple, but the message *** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *** would consistently appear, never reaching the ideal *** the volume ____ appears to be ok. In verbose mode, I would repeatedly receive the disk0s2: I/O error for nearly an hour.

I am unsure how to proceed, lacking in savviness when it comes to technology, and was hoping that the implications of a completely dead HDD found elsewhere are not as true as they seem.

Thank you for your assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately, you don't quite have enough info to rule out a motherboard failure. You have to find some way to boot up (including external drive), to decide that.
First troubleshooting step - replace the hard drive (and consider the drive cable, too).
(sorry, but not guaranteed to work)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It appears you have several things that are in need of repair:

1. Your optical drive is either failing or needs cleaning. A blast of air with a compressed air canister may be all that it needs.

2. I agree with member "gsahli" that your hard drive needs replacing, and as he also said it might be a good idea to replace the SATA cable at the same time.

Have you been making backups?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new folder problem | Apple ID Change / Lost IMessage String »