New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating a Graphics Driver in a vintage 2008 MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hilltown48

hilltown48 is on a distinguished road

Good Afternoon! My son is a big fan of STEAM, especially Portal 2. The Vintage 2008 MacBook Pro we have runs on OX 10.6.8 but has only a ATY Radeon X1600 in it, and Steam's minimum specs call for a Radeon 2400 or higher to run their program. Would anyone know if this upgrade is achievable in this old of a machine? Would their be physical room for it? Any idea of how big an investment in money and labor such an upgrade would be? Thank You very much for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Only if you upgrade the computer alas. To have that card must be an even earlier model from early 2007 as all 2008 models had the nVidia 8600M GT and in 2009 went to 9600 version.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=565617

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Pretty sure I played Portal 2 on my '06 MBP with the X1600 in it. Can check when I get home.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltown48 View Post
Good Afternoon! My son is a big fan of STEAM, especially Portal 2. The Vintage 2008 MacBook Pro we have runs on OX 10.6.8 but has only a ATY Radeon X1600 in it, and Steam's minimum specs call for a Radeon 2400 or higher to run their program. Would anyone know if this upgrade is achievable in this old of a machine? Would their be physical room for it? Any idea of how big an investment in money and labor such an upgrade would be? Thank You very much for your time.
According to Valve, the X1600 is not supported for a few games, with Portal 2 explicitly being one of them.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5376-EOSB-3763

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It appears Steam has updated Portal 2 since I last played it - more than a couple years ago.

Alas, harry is correct - as with most notebooks, not possible to upgrade the video card and the X1600 would be a late '06 model - manufactured thru June '07 when they moved to NVidia cards.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display Problem | apple id »