New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Increasing Macbook Pro speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gatrapper

gatrapper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Hey Y'all,

Im a complete newb when it comes to in depth computer talk, so hopefully my questions aren't too silly.

I have a 2007 Mac Book Pro. I guess its finally getting to the point where its getting "old." Over the course of time it has began to run slower and slower.

I have 50 gigs of free space on the computer, yet when I try to open some simple applications it takes forever. I'll click to open google chrome and it will take maybe 15-20 seconds, where on my other buddies laptops its essentially instant.

The other day I had a YouTube video running and went to open up Microsoft Word. The video stopped playing and it probably took 1-2 minutes for word to even load and pop up.

What are y'alls thoughts on improving the speed of this laptop? I have done disk stuff on disk utility, but still having issues.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What version of OSX is it running

And how much RAM is installed, and do you ever restart it

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

Here is some of my laptops info.

QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

I shutdown my laptop every evening and start it up in the morning.

Im sorry, but I don't know what my PSX is or where to find it. I'm trying to look for that information now. I am running Snow Leopard too.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What he was asking was what version of OSX are you running? He hit P instead of O!

I see in your specs 1GB RAM/ So click on the Apple and on About This Mac. What is the exact OSX version you have running there?

1GB is very low for any modern version of OSX.

Oops. missed your last post. Is it 10.6.8? 1GB today is way too low. Max out the RAM. On that machine it might take 3GB. Will have to check and get back to you. Also download and run Onyx. See if that helps.

I do my Mini with 1GB and Snow Leopard eventually got very slow. Things are getting more and more demanding and more RAM is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

Should I upgrade my RAM?

If so, would you recommend these? I would assume these would fit in my laptop.

Amazon.com: Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin Notebook Memory Modules CT2KIT51264BC1339: Computers & Accessories
QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

Or this one?

Amazon.com: Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 8 GB Laptop Memory 996644: Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatrapper View Post
Should I upgrade my RAM?
Most definitely.

Quote:
No...why? Before doing a ram upgrade you need to know what the max ram of your computer is. The max ram for your MacBook Pro is 2gig. Thus buying 2 x 4gig of ram (8gig total) would not work...since you would be exceeding the max ram of the computer by 4x!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

Thank you for the info! Is there a 2 gig RAM that you would recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you for the info! Is there a 2 gig RAM that you would recommend?
Both of these vendors are excellent sources of ram:

- OWC
- Crucial.com

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
gatrapper

Thanks! I just ordered a 2 gig RAM from Crucial! Can't wait to see the benefits of having a larger RAM.

Thank you so much for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks! I just ordered a 2 gig RAM from Crucial! Can't wait to see the benefits of having a larger RAM.

Thank you so much for the help.
You are certainly welcome!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Core.insightexpressai Pop-Up | Problems rebooting imac »