New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

PowerBook G4 12in OS restore

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob 555

Bob 555 is on a distinguished road

I have reinstalled original OS 10.2.3 on a Mac G4
12 inch power book with an 867 mgz pc. Nothing works...wifi, browser, etc.. Would like to install a more updated OS. What's your suggestion ? Bk
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Someone with a bit more knowledge on older Macs will have to chime in here, but I believe you may be able to install Tiger on that machine if it has enough memory.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 555 View Post
I have reinstalled original OS 10.2.3 on a Mac G4
12 inch power book with an 867 mgz pc. Nothing works...wifi, browser, etc.. Would like to install a more updated OS. What's your suggestion ? Bk
Up to OS 10.5.8 can be installed on an 867mhz Powerbook G4...but as chscag mentioned...OS 10.4 Tiger will run as well...and may be a better choice.

Gonna cost you. Install disks for 10.4 or 10.5 will cost $50-$100. e-Bay is pretty much the best place to buy.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As your model can only handle 1GB of memory suggest Tiger. Leopard really does need more memory.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bob 555

I've found several Tiger 10.4 disks on eBay. Some say they are compatable with the larger PowerBooks, but no mention of the 12", also the G5 is a bit confusing. Not quite sure what exactly to buy. Thanks guys you're really helping cut through this...it's appreciated. Bob k
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Do not buy the silver grey system install discs as they are extremely model specific. The Tiger discs you want are knowns as the black retail install DVD. This is an excellent sticly and the Tiger disc is the first on the bottom row:-

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Bob 555

Awesome information, Harryb.
Does this mean all Tiger OS 10.4 black intstallation discs for my G4 12" powerbook are ok...
even though it's a 12" and not a G5?
Bob k
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The "black" Tiger disk is a retail version and will work for both the G4 and G5. The silver gray disks are model specific and unless you get the exact one for your machine, it will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've found several Tiger 10.4 disks on eBay. Some say they are compatable with the larger PowerBooks, but no mention of the 12", also the G5 is a bit confusing. Not quite sure what exactly to buy. Thanks guys you're really helping cut through this...it's appreciated. Bob k
Don't forget to read our really great Sticky Thread regarding OS install disks:

"What OS Disk Do I Need?" A Brief Overview

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Bob 555

Nick, Harry
And all,
You guys have been much more than I've expected! Got the chart and am moving on "...10.4 Tiger, Retail, Full install, black" a little concerned whether it's the memory of the RAM (mine is 256mb built in, 100g storage. Any thoughts on that?) maybe thats whats leading you on Tiger vs Leopard...anyhow, Superb showing by you guys (I'm pleased to say I have new friends...thank you
Bob k
Your after thoughts are welcome
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
...a little concerned whether it's the memory of the RAM (mine is 256mb built in, 100g storage. Any thoughts on that?)
With a computer this old...at this point...it's best to just max. out the ram.

Quote:
maybe thats whats leading you on Tiger vs Leopard...
The Tiger (10.4) vs. Leopard (10.5) is both a ram and a cpu speed thing. To run well...Leopard requires more ram than Tiger...AND the 867mhz cpu your Powerbook has is the absolute minimum cpu speed (according to Apple) that supports Leopard. And as many experienced computing folks know...if the computer only meets the min. requirements...it usually doesn't run well.

Leopard will run...and you will have access to slightly more modern internet browsers & other things...but it will just run "painfully" slow. Tiger will run faster...and be a better experience. And since you're only running OS 10.2 at the moment. OS 10.4 "Tiger" will still be a big upgrade.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Permissions 101 | Mono audio after startup »