PowerBook G4 12in OS restore

I have reinstalled original OS 10.2.3 on a Mac G4
    12 inch power book with an 867 mgz pc. Nothing works...wifi, browser, etc.. Would like to install a more updated OS. What's your suggestion ? Bk

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Someone with a bit more knowledge on older Macs will have to chime in here, but I believe you may be able to install Tiger on that machine if it has enough memory.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob 555 View Post
    I have reinstalled original OS 10.2.3 on a Mac G4
    12 inch power book with an 867 mgz pc. Nothing works...wifi, browser, etc.. Would like to install a more updated OS. What's your suggestion ? Bk
    Up to OS 10.5.8 can be installed on an 867mhz Powerbook G4...but as chscag mentioned...OS 10.4 Tiger will run as well...and may be a better choice.

Gonna cost you. Install disks for 10.4 or 10.5 will cost $50-$100. e-Bay is pretty much the best place to buy.

Good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    As your model can only handle 1GB of memory suggest Tiger. Leopard really does need more memory.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

I've found several Tiger 10.4 disks on eBay. Some say they are compatable with the larger PowerBooks, but no mention of the 12", also the G5 is a bit confusing. Not quite sure what exactly to buy. Thanks guys you're really helping cut through this...it's appreciated. Bob k

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Do not buy the silver grey system install discs as they are extremely model specific. The Tiger discs you want are knowns as the black retail install DVD. This is an excellent sticly and the Tiger disc is the first on the bottom row:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...-overview.html
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Awesome information, Harryb.
    Does this mean all Tiger OS 10.4 black intstallation discs for my G4 12" powerbook are ok...
    even though it's a 12" and not a G5?
    Bob k

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    The "black" Tiger disk is a retail version and will work for both the G4 and G5. The silver gray disks are model specific and unless you get the exact one for your machine, it will not work.

Specs:
    I've found several Tiger 10.4 disks on eBay. Some say they are compatable with the larger PowerBooks, but no mention of the 12", also the G5 is a bit confusing. Not quite sure what exactly to buy. Thanks guys you're really helping cut through this...it's appreciated. Bob k
    Don't forget to read our really great Sticky Thread regarding OS install disks:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...-overview.html

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Nick, Harry
    And all,
    You guys have been much more than I've expected! Got the chart and am moving on "...10.4 Tiger, Retail, Full install, black" a little concerned whether it's the memory of the RAM (mine is 256mb built in, 100g storage. Any thoughts on that?) maybe thats whats leading you on Tiger vs Leopard...anyhow, Superb showing by you guys (I'm pleased to say I have new friends...thank you
    Bob k
    Your after thoughts are welcome

Specs:
    ...a little concerned whether it's the memory of the RAM (mine is 256mb built in, 100g storage. Any thoughts on that?)
    With a computer this old...at this point...it's best to just max. out the ram.

maybe thats whats leading you on Tiger vs Leopard...
    The Tiger (10.4) vs. Leopard (10.5) is both a ram and a cpu speed thing. To run well...Leopard requires more ram than Tiger...AND the 867mhz cpu your Powerbook has is the absolute minimum cpu speed (according to Apple) that supports Leopard. And as many experienced computing folks know...if the computer only meets the min. requirements...it usually doesn't run well.

Leopard will run...and you will have access to slightly more modern internet browsers & other things...but it will just run "painfully" slow. Tiger will run faster...and be a better experience. And since you're only running OS 10.2 at the moment. OS 10.4 "Tiger" will still be a big upgrade.

- Nick

Thread Information