New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why No More Boot Discs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FormerApple

FormerApple is on a distinguished road

I was an employee of Apple Retail for three years (more on that later if you'd like). I know that when I worked there we used to sell Lion or Mountain Lion installs on a flash drive, to reinstall your operating system or something else.

Discovered this morning that not only does Apple no longer sell them retail, but they don't even carry them as service parts!

At this point I don't expect for there to be a solution (I need both 10.7 and 10.8 on disc, 10.8 is doable 10.7 is not) because I understand that Apple's business model is to blow off anybody who has any issues with their products (because economically, they can).

Basically I'm just wondering if anybody has any sort of explanation for why Apple would have pulled this product. Seems low-cost and useful, why would they have done this??
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Lion was available on a USB flash drive, but Mountain Lion was never available as anything other than a digital download. Both Lion and Mountain Lion create a recovery partition that can be gotten into to repair a system and a do a network re-install of if need be..

The situation where this would not work is if you installing Lion/Mountain Lion on a brand new hard drive. But if you did buy either Lion/Mountain Lion at some point, there are numerous tutorials online about making a install flash drive or DVD from the installer.

Apple's recent elimination of optical drives from their notebooks and iMacs is a clear indication of how they perceive physical media.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerApple View Post
I was an employee of Apple Retail for three years (more on that later if you'd like). I know that when I worked there we used to sell Lion or Mountain Lion installs on a flash drive, to reinstall your operating system or something else.
To the best of my knowledge...Mountain Lion was never sold in any form (to the general public) other than online download (never available on USB stick from the Apple Store).

Quote:
Basically I'm just wondering if anybody has any sort of explanation for why Apple would have pulled this product. Seems low-cost and useful, why would they have done this??
Seems to me (being a former Apple Store employee)...you probably know more than we do.

But regarding what you mentioned...the Lion on USB stick was pulled when Mountain Lion was released...and as I mentioned above...Mountain Lion was never available on USB stick (for the general public).

The clear answer to your question is Apple wants to move everything to "the Cloud".

I too would like to be able to purchase Lion and Mountain Lion on DVD...but I guess it just ain't going to happen.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
FormerApple

Mountain Lion was sold, however briefly and quietly, in stores for a few months.

The issue now is that we have a machine running 10.8, and no machines in the office that ever downloaded 10.7. We need to somehow create a boot disk of 10.7 to install on a new machine to test software we are developing.

I am well aware that Apple shuns physical media, and I don't disagree, it just seems odd that they would remove a useful, simple option like this, and also completely remove the ability to even download Lion. Even if we did have a machine running 10.6, Apple doesn't offer a 10.7 download, only direct to 10.8.

I still can't figure out a solution to my 10.7 disk problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Lion is still available to download from the Mac App store for those who have previously purchased it before it was pulled. A call to Apple customer service is all that's needed.

Why don't you call Apple customer service and ask if it can be downloaded? Also, if you're a registered Apple developer, you should be able to download it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The issue now is that we have a machine running 10.8, and no machines in the office that ever downloaded 10.7. We need to somehow create a boot disk of 10.7 to install on a new machine to test software we are developing.

I still can't figure out a solution to my 10.7 disk problem.
Yes...this is a bit of a pain in the butt! One way to get Lion...is to check e-Bay. Sometimes you'll find a couple Lion on USB stick for sale.

For example...here's one:

Apple Mac OS x Lion V 10 7 USB Thumb Drive A1384 | eBay

It even costs less than the original $69 price for Lion on USB.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
FormerApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Lion is still available to download from the Mac App store for those who have previously purchased it before it was pulled. A call to Apple customer service is all that's needed.

Why don't you call Apple customer service and ask if it can be downloaded? Also, if you're a registered Apple developer, you should be able to download it.

This is sadly not an option -- I have called them and they won't allow even the download. Apple appears to have suddenly decided to make it completely impossible to get Lion -- they only allow Mountain Lion.

The only options appear to be online through 3rd parties.

This brings me to my original question -- WHY???

I don't expect to get 10.7, I appreciate that Apple has shut that down, what I want to know is, can anybody provide a rational explanation for this complete disavowal of their own operating system??
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
This brings me to my original question -- WHY???
You're looking for a logical reason...and there just isn't one (from the consumers perspective).

Apple made a business decision...and that's it...end of story!

- Nick

p.s. I don't agree with this decision...but whatta ya gonna do!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's stil available for download for people who bought it. It's in my list of things I can download from the Apple Store.

Why they did it? Computers are going Cloud. Touch also. Look at Windows 8. Microsoft has a store also and soon they will be the same, all digital and no more media. it's the way it's going. I personally HATE it, but that is where computing is going then to devices. Look at the new Macbook Pro. No changeable RAM, Proprietary hard drive that you can only get from OWC and Apple.
Forgot to mention Adobe. They just anounced no more software. OnLine only. All Cloud. So Sad.

As much as I hate it, that is where computing or whatever it will be called is heading.

If you have at one time purchased Lion from the App store and it's not showing up, you have to unhide hidden purchases.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-05-09 at 10.11.59 AM.png (79.2 KB, 28 views)
QUOTE Thanks
FormerApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You're looking for a logical reason...and there just isn't one (from the consumers perspective).

Apple made a business decision...and that's it...end of story!

- Nick

p.s. I don't agree with this decision...but whatta ya gonna do!

Right, I understand that. I just really hate Apple's whole attitude of "do it our way, and if not, **** you."

This has always been their business model and likely always will be -- the bottom line is that I do not understand the BUSINESS logic behind pulling the boot discs
QUOTE Thanks
FormerApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
It's stil available for download for people who bought it. It's in my list of things I can download from the Apple Store.

If you have at one time purchased Lion from the App store and it's not showing up, you have to unhide hidden purchases.
The issue is that all of the computers we have in the office were at least on 10.7 when purchased....meaning that there is no way to re-download the OS because it was never technically downloaded.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
The issue is that all of the computers we have in the office were at least on 10.7 when purchased....meaning that there is no way to re-download the OS because it was never technically downloaded.
Ok, makes sense. In that case Apple should provide it for you. My opinion anyway since your machines came with it. What happened to putting the machine back to factory stock?
QUOTE Thanks
FormerApple

Restoring a machine to factory settings will just take it back to the most recent OS installed, i.e. since we're on 10.8 a restore will jsut go to 10.8. Doesn't matter though, because even on the machines that are on 10.7 its impossible to get the download to make a boot disc
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

By Restore to factory I meant the way it was shipped. You said it was shipped with LION. If that is the case, then you should be able to put it back the way it shipped. Sorry I guess you misunderstood my post.

Factory Stock is the way the machine shipped.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Forgot to mention Adobe. They just anounced no more software. OnLine only. All Cloud. So Sad.
I saw this the other day...and was going to mention it in this thread as well. something like $39 bucks/month for the new "Cloud" Adobe Creative Suite".

Considering how much Adobe Creative Suite costs (CS6)...and how many folks upgrade fairly frequently...$39/month may not be terrible (for professionals)...but maybe not great for other folks who may not upgrade as often.

Full master suite can cost up to $1500 bucks. So $39 into $1500 is 38.5 months (3 years, 2.5 months).

Also not so great if someone loses their internet connection (for lots of reasons)...or if someone is in the middle of nowhere with no internet.

Definitely a change.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Trash | unable to install snow leopard to erased HD »