New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problem with iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arjay37

Arjay37 is on a distinguished road

I am running iLife 11 on an IMac Desktop with Mountain Lion 10.8.3. Prior to the upgrade my iPhoto was working perfectly but now every time I try to open the iPhoto screen freezes and the whole operating system is frozen.The only way I can get out is by a 'force quit'.
I have a very extensive library and many albums with some priceless pictures.
One way I have been able to access the program (as before) is to open to the menu where I can rebuild the Library. This works but to do this every time is very time consuming.
Does anyone have any suggestions to stop this 'freezing' and have the iPhoto operate normally. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The very first thing to do is backup everything on your iMac if you have not already done so. Use Time Machine or any other method on hand. Next, boot your iMac to the Recovery partition (command + r), enter utilities, and verify the hard drive. Let us know the results.
QUOTE Thanks
Arjay37

I am not a very sophisticated user. After I back up do I shut down and then when I restart I use the Command -N keys. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
Arjay37

Sorry that should read Command-r.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

@Arjay37 If you're having some 2nd thoughts on how to do this, It's best if you let some tech guy do this for you. To be safer
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Make your backup first. As I stated above, use Time Machine or any other backup method you have. Then, reboot and hold the command + r keys as soon as you hear the boot sound. Keep holding the keys down until you see the spinning circle. Once in recovery, select "Utilities" and run Disk Utility to verify your hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleted system fonts...help! | Browsers are crashing my mac »