External Hard Drive
    I have a Mac book pro 10.7.5... I bought a Western Digital My Passport for Mac to put all my music on. I plugged it in an it worked great for the first day but then after that it kept not recognizing it an disconnecting its self / an disconnecting in middle of downloads. Now when i plug it in i dont even have a icon that comes up for My passport for mac.The light blinks an everything so i know it works. I plugged it in the another laptop (not a macbook) an it comes right up but i cant do anything with it clearly cause its not a mac. i just wanted to see if it worked. Any ideas what i can do to make my mac read my Western Digital. ?

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Is it getting enough power? does it have a USB cable with two connections in one end?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Charlotte, NC
    mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    Are you "unmounting" the drives before you unplug them?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver
    I agree with mrplow in that I have only once had this problem (not Western Digital, actually Seagate) which turned out to be a power issue. It appeared to function okay to start with and then intermittently failed to mount properly.
    I presume you are connecting the EHD directly to your Mac and not through a hub? In my case, the Seagate did not have a double USB connection and Seagate refunded the cost. As your purchase is apparently recent, WD should do the same....

Thread Information