New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

External Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

codyhopkins123

codyhopkins123 is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac book pro 10.7.5... I bought a Western Digital My Passport for Mac to put all my music on. I plugged it in an it worked great for the first day but then after that it kept not recognizing it an disconnecting its self / an disconnecting in middle of downloads. Now when i plug it in i dont even have a icon that comes up for My passport for mac.The light blinks an everything so i know it works. I plugged it in the another laptop (not a macbook) an it comes right up but i cant do anything with it clearly cause its not a mac. i just wanted to see if it worked. Any ideas what i can do to make my mac read my Western Digital. ?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Is it getting enough power? does it have a USB cable with two connections in one end?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Are you "unmounting" the drives before you unplug them?
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I agree with mrplow in that I have only once had this problem (not Western Digital, actually Seagate) which turned out to be a power issue. It appeared to function okay to start with and then intermittently failed to mount properly.
I presume you are connecting the EHD directly to your Mac and not through a hub? In my case, the Seagate did not have a double USB connection and Seagate refunded the cost. As your purchase is apparently recent, WD should do the same....

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« getting problem while installing ubuntu (Linux free version) on PowerBook G4 | ALT-tab/spaces/mission control switching massive frustation »