New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Blue vs. green messages...in Messages not iOS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

I know what the difference is between green and blue messages in iOS Messages on my iPhone.

Today I was using Messages on my MBP and chatting with someone on their MBA via Google and Messages.

My messages have always been green but I must have clicked on something because the color went to blue for a short while.

There is a line before they went back to green:
Jabber IM with xxxxx@gmail.com Today 2:37 PM

Did this person go from chatting via Messages to their browser and chat through Google Chat?

I couldn't find anything in the support pages about the color in Messages in OS...it is all about Messages in iOS.

15" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
iPod Classic (7th generation)
iPad Mini, 64GB Cellular (1st generation), iOS 6.0.2
iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolle View Post
I know what the difference is between green and blue messages in iOS Messages on my iPhone.
Green means that the text was sent as a regular SMS message.

Blue means it was sent as an iMessage.

The difference is based on whether the recipient has a) a Mac or iOS device using Messages and b) registered their phone/email to accept iMessages. For people meeting those conditions, you'll see blue messages, which means it is being handled by Apple and is not counting against any limit you might have on texting from your carrier, since your carrier doesn't "see" those messages.

Many people have unlimited texting so this may not matter that much -- till you travel. Then iMessaging will save you a FORTUNE over roaming SMS texting ...

Quote:
I couldn't find anything in the support pages about the color in Messages in OS...it is all about Messages in iOS.
Messages works the same (as far as iMessaging goes) on both platforms. It sounds to me like your recipient changed from using an iOS device to using their computer or Android (or just switched to GMail messaging).
QUOTE Thanks
Trolle

Trolle is on a distinguished road

Okay...must have switched from Messages to using Gmail in the browser for chat since this person was not using their phone at all at the time.

I was using Messages the entire time so maybe that is why it switched colors for me.

15" MBP, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.3
iPod Classic (7th generation)
iPad Mini, 64GB Cellular (1st generation), iOS 6.0.2
iPhone 5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac disconnects internet as soon as I turn Airport on! | Formac screen issue »