New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Where did all my disk space go.. Help!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vinnievman

vinnievman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Alum. 2 Ghz

Hey all! If anyone could help me with this problem, theres about 200gb of "Other" taking up my disk space, and while restoring is out of the question for me, I was wondering if anyone could help, Iv used various disk cleaning programs but nothing gets rid of it

SCREENSHOT: http://gyazo.com/4c356660d24904ad220e72f47d4eac95

Any help is appreciated

Vinnie
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Find out for yourself what's taking up the space by downloading the free "Disk Inventory X" from here.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

As well as that use a Duplicate Finder like GDuplicateFinder to find unwanted and not needed Duplicates. Or if you want to pay, try https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/gemi...63541543?mt=12

Cheers

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

For the record: "Other" simply means "files that do not fit any of the categories already listed." On any system, you're going to see a lot of "other." The system, libraries, documents, etc.

Here's the profile of my drive, and I know every file that's on it:

Screen Shot 2013-05-05 at 3.48.35 AM.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnievman View Post
I've used various disk cleaning programs but nothing gets rid of it
That could be part of the problem. Uninstall those immediately! There are none that have been demonstrated to be of any benefit, and some cause all kinds of problems.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
For the record: "Other" simply means "files that do not fit any of the categories already listed." On any system, you're going to see a lot of "other." The system, libraries, documents, etc.

Here's the profile of my drive, and I know every file that's on it:

Attachment 19032
Hi Chas_m et al since my question is general - from your disk usage diagram (and that of the OP), you have 7.6% 'free' space remaining - I've always tried to maintain at least 15% free space or more and believe that is the usual suggestion, just for disk maintenance, swap space, and other reasons?

Now, I'm coming from the PC world in the last month and maybe Apple's advice on 'free' disk space is different - not sure. But, I (and probably many other 'newbies' to OS X) would appreciate some advice and comments - my MBP has 256 GB - ALSO, does a SSD drive make a difference vs. a standard HD - sorry for the simple questions but still learning - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

The 15 percent thing is a decent rule of thumb, but I am personally of the belief that the actual amount of free space you "need" for the machine to operate at maximum efficiency varies depending on your workflow. So for example, little old lady who uses her Mac to surf, email and play card games probably doesn't need as much free space available* as someone who processes lots of pictures or video. In the latter case, 15 percent might not be enough.

*ironically it's the little old lady who's going to have 50 percent or more of her drive free at all times. Ay, there's the rub.

But yes, it's time for me to do some housecleaning.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'Get Info' on HD not correctly displaying available space | Applications Organized on Start-up »