Can't read .jpg/.pfd files
    I recently replaced my hard drive in my MacBook running OSX Mountain Lion due to it's impending failure. Prior to replacing the drive I copied documents, movies and pictures onto a flash drive. After replacing the drive and installing Mountain Lion I transferred the files on the flash drive back onto the computer. Now when trying to open a photo (.jpg) I get a message: "The file “*****.jpg” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize." I've checked other forums etc. but still have not figured out a solution. Any advice? Thanks.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Gday welcome to the forums. . . .
    I would suggest trying to Repair the Disk via Disk Utility and see if that helps. When you transferred over you could of got corrupt data. Its always pays to check your files when ever you do a backup or transfer files to make sure they the did transfer over correctly.
    Few things could be because of this, Cheap USB's, incorrectly formatted (how was is formatted) Fat32, NTFS, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) ??
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thanks for the reply. I already did repair disk with no change. Problem seems to happen when copying files onto flash disk, some transfer okay while most others don't. Maybe it's the flash drive itself, will try another to see if there's a difference.

FYI on a whim I decided to re-format my flash drive from Mac OS Extended Journaled to ExFAT. Now everything seems to be good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjakecc View Post
    FYI on a whim I decided to re-format my flash drive from Mac OS Extended Journaled to ExFAT. Now everything seems to be good. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Cool. Thats why i asked how it was formatted because Fat32/ExFat helps when you are playing with both types of OS ie; OS X/Windows.

Glad its seems to be ok
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information