New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trying to understand the modification time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grink

grink is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm investigating a folder named Backups.backupdb on an external hard drive.
I assume the folder was created by Time Machine.

Running the "ls -l" command, the time displayed for Backups.backupdb is "June 1".
I believe that this is the modification time (mtime).

What I can not (or hardly) understand is that within subfolders of Backups.backupdb are some backups dated "June 2".

Is is normal that the modification time of a parent folder does not change when its content change ?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Within the backup folder that Time Machine creates should be a long list of the individual backups that it made after the first initial backup. So yes, the date of the initial backup or the creation date of the backup folder does not change with subsequent backups, only the individual backup dates will change as they are made.
QUOTE Thanks
grink

grink is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

Yes, there are several backup folders. What I find suprising is not the fact that the first backups keep their dates, as they're not altered by subsequent backups, but the fact that the "modification time" of the parent folder is not updated as it gets new content, i.e. a new subfolder, at each backup. Maybe was this chosen for OS performance reasons...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Esata Target Disk Mode? | Sony bluetooth portable speaker »