New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Disk utility problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andyorb

Hi

Just upgraded to 10.4
(VERY slow booting up compared to 10.3 - any advice on speeding that up I'd be grateful)

Tried to repair disk permissions and keep getting:
"Disk utility has lost connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch."

TIA

Andy

Powerbook G4 800mhz, 10.4.4
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Try enabling root user in Netinfo. Log out and log in as root. Run permissions repair as root.
QUOTE Thanks
andyorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
Try enabling root user in Netinfo. Log out and log in as root. Run permissions repair as root.
Thanks.
Tried that - exactly the same sadly...

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice

Did you by chance do anything with your "Previous Receipts". This can have a serious affect on Disk Utility. It's basically what it uses to determine proper permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
edzz

edzz is on a distinguished road

I'm having the exact same problem myself.i saw this thread suddenly quit.Did you manage to solve your problem?Please share so i can do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
Did you by chance do anything with your "Previous Receipts". This can have a serious affect on Disk Utility. It's basically what it uses to determine proper permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
andyorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzz
I'm having the exact same problem myself.i saw this thread suddenly quit.Did you manage to solve your problem?Please share so i can do the same.
Still the same I'm afraid.
I know other people with the same problem.
Hope Apple might come up with a fix - soon.

A
QUOTE Thanks
Smackintosh

Smackintosh is on a distinguished road

go to your system/library/recipts and remove any itunes recipts to your desktop.
then repair permissions.
save the itunes recipts in a backup folder.
this works.
QUOTE Thanks
edzz

edzz is on a distinguished road

yes i solved the problem.I trashed anything with itunes from library/receipts but left alone the itunesphone driver.pkg and the itunesx.pkg as was suggested to me on another forum.Worked perfectly.Many thanks,edzz
QUOTE Thanks
andyorb

I have tried all that has been suggested and still it doesn't work.
Is there any way of finding out at what point Disk Utility gets an error?
Are there any other receipts worth removing?
I haven't done anything to the receipts apart from the suggested fix btw.

A
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

You could move half the receipts to a temp location and try DU. Then try it on the other half. Kind of like the old OS 9 extension conflict resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What version of 10.4 are you at? I would down the combo update of the version you have and then install it over your current install. Hopefully that should resove your problem.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
nickm

nickm is on a distinguished road

I've tried all the above and still cant get verify permission.

I took out the files in HD/library/receipts

I get a "No Valid Packages" on Disk Utility and -9997 cannotSetWidthOfAttachedController on other programs.

Thanx
QUOTE Thanks
lilapa

lilapa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork View Post
You could move half the receipts to a temp location and try DU. Then try it on the other half. Kind of like the old OS 9 extension conflict resolution.
Thanks! That worked, kept doing it til I found that mail.pkg was the problem. So now disk permissions are repaired, but what do I do with mail.pkg?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac startup problem | Typical Boot Time? »