New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Clean Install is not going right...Please Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

My computer specs are under my avatar. I suddenly began experiencing very slow start ups (several minutes) and lots of spinning beach balls. My computer had been running just fine and very suddenly all this mess starts happening. I had been threatening to perform a total wipe and clean install for quite some time and now it HAD to happen. Using install disk and Disk Utilities, I ran a Repair Disk and a couple of hdd problems were repaired. Then I ran a 7 pass wipe and did a clean install of SL 10.6. I am going to stay with Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. It took a couple of tries before the install worked. When I went to update the OS to the SL 10.6.8 combo updater, there is no internet. Setting up the computer once again, a box popped up asking about internet connection. I have always used Ethernet…no network or router ever. The option to use Ethernet was grayed out and could not be selected. Airport was the only “selectable” option. So I selected it and moved on thinking I could change it later. After the OS installation, I went to run Software Updates and the computer will not connect to the internet. I called my ISP and they assured me they could see me and I had a connection and my service was fine. Still no connection. So the service guy came and verified that I was getting signal. We tried several Ethernet cables…they were fine. I have tried many times to configure the connection. I have reset the PRAM/SMC. I can use the computer to watch movies on iDVD, so that tells me the super drive is OK and the hdd is probably OK although several things were repaired as mentioned earlier. Could it be part of the logic board function? What else could possibly be tried? My computer is still covered by Apple Care.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Surely you must have some sort of router

What is the ethernet cable connected to?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Nope...no router or network established. The ethernet cable connects computer and cable modem. There is only one computer at my house and it is all hardwired (including printer). I have had this set up since I bought the Mac mini in Sept. 2010. Is it possible that just the part of the logic board that handles the ethernet/internet be bad while everything else works OK?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It is definitely possible that only portions of the logic board might fail, however, Ethernet isn't usually a component that's prone to it unless you live in area prone to thunderstorms or other electrical occurrences. Usually it's the USB ports or whatever that fail because they have to provide power and device might freak out. However, the Ethernet hack has no power going over it..

If you do have AppleCare on your Mac Mini, I would suggest taking it to the Apple Store and have them diagnose the failure and provide resolution..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Thanks to you both for your help. I left home one day with the computer running a long process. When I returned home, there had been a power outage...the computer was OFF and all the house clocks were flashing. This was about a week ago and that's is when my computer became problematic.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Thanks to you both for your help. I left home one day with the computer running a long process. When I returned home, there had been a power outage...the computer was OFF and all the house clocks were flashing. This was about a week ago and that's is when my computer became problematic.
Buy a good UPS and connect your Mini to it. OS X power settings will automatically shut the Mini down if it detects a glitch or power failure through the UPS. (User configurable)
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

I am absolutely going to do just that, chscag. In one of my older threads I was asking about them. Ineed to go back and review that thread. Those outages happen quite often and I knew in the back of my mind it would just be a matter of time. I am thankful for all the experts in here harping about running Time Machine for backups. For the first six months I had my Mini, I didn't have TM running. I finally accepted that it really ISN'T a matter of IF it will fail...it is a matter of WHEN it will fail....and it did. I am fortunate in that Charlotte, NC has two Apple Stores.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I am fortunate in that Charlotte, NC has two Apple Stores.
Indeed. Let us know how it turns out.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Apple Online used to sell the iDowell UPS iBox which works well.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

I thought I would follow up with this thread. I gave the clean installation one last try. I downloaded the 10.6.8 Combo Updater on to a flash drive. After the initial install, i went ahead and loaded the Combo Updater AND IT WORKS!! It does seem that there are some artifacts left over although I did a 7 pass wipe. All apps (Mac Store and other 3rd party) reloaded and updated without a hitch. I loaded Office for Mac 2011, but when I went to configure it, it will not connect or acknowledge my Networks Solutions email account. It is the same account I had before and I followed my hand written information like incoming server, outgoing server, etc and it just will not work. I have done exactly what I did in the past and it refuses to hook up. I even changed the ports as recommended by Network Solutions. Does anybody have any idea of what may be happeneing?...Should I just give up and carry it to the Apple Store and let them help me?

p.s. I realize MS Office is a 3rd party app, but this is part of th same topic I started the thread about. Forgive me THIS time.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It doesn't recognise you email address, I assume you are setting up an email account in Outlook?

If that is the case then contact Network Solutions or see if they have a help page to set up email accounts

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Setting up Outlook with my NetSol email is exactly what I am trying to do. As I stated, I had it set up before and it worked great. With this wipe and clean install, I used the same account info that I used before. I wrote everything down because I knew I would need it again one day. The computer would not recognize my ethernet internet connection before...thus I started this thread. On my last attempt before taking it to the Apple Store, I went ahead and loaded the Combo updater from a flash drive and suddenly the inernet was fine. Now Outlook won't connect. I will contact Network Solutions in a bit. Thanks, guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

All is well now. A little persistence and attention to detail works wonders. Thanks to all for your help. I am checking into UPS's now.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

My clean install is now doing well and I have one more thing to do before calling it DONE. Would someone please take a few minutes and list the steps (in easy to follow steps) to reload my iTunes music library and my Documents folder contents from my Time Machine backup? That is all I want to retain from my old set up...ITunes music library and Documents. I am unsure on how to do this and how to get exactly where I need to be and I need the exact pathname(s) for putting these items back. My computer is running like new and I don't want to start "littering" the hdd up or get folder/files in the wrong place. Thanks in advance for any help.

I have searched and found several places that give very general, undetailed steps of the process...I want to do this one time and I want it to be right.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Restoring a particular folder or files is easy (reference Mac Basics: Time Machine). Open up Time Machine and then go back to where you think the data is good (the last backup might be good in your case) and then using the Finder-like interface head over to the iTunes folder in your Users folder. Select it and choose Restore. That folder will now be restored to your Users folder on your clean installation..

As far as documents go, assuming you kept them all in the Documents folder, you can restore that entire folder or selectively restore individual documents by selecting them and clicking Restore..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari extensions on start up question | cloudfogger »