New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X Classic printing problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Amcraft2

Amcraft2 is on a distinguished road

I replaced the printer for my eMac and now Classic (OS 9.2.2) has a printing problem. When I open the Chooser and select the printer (Epson SC740) a message appears that "the printer port is unavailable because another application is using the port". I deactivated Apple Talk to make sure that this is not the problem but the same message appears.

OS 10 has no problem using this printer ...only Classic.

The port should come up as USB Port 1 as it does on my iMac. How do I find the application referred to so that I can close it or what other alternative do I have?

Any advice will be appreciated ...... thank you..
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

If I remember correctly, you choose between different drivers (appletalk or USB), in the Chooser. Did you select correctly?
QUOTE Thanks
Amcraft2

Amcraft2 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your question. The selection in the Chooser is straightforward ...either AppleShare (using AppleTalk) or a Printer (USB). With AppleTalk made inactive, the only selection left is the Printer. So I have to find why the port is unavailable due to it being used by another application. I have a feeling the problem can easily be solved but I can't pin it down. In my 25 years of using Macintosh OS starting way back with OS 7.5, I have never had the printer port be unavailable except in this one time with Classic on my eMac.
Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Edit - If you are using this in Classic - then it's important to consider - Appletalk is only available via ethernet, not via localtalk connectors. You may be able to choose LaserWriter 8 and print via OS X's available printers (incl. setup via USB). I think this is dependent on which OS X version you have.

Edit #2 - Sorry if I haven't been helpful. I'll admit I was confused because the port error message sounds like an appletalk error... so I thought you had selected an appletalk driver. What version of OS X is this on?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't open log in page | CRM for Mac OS and Outlook 2011 »