New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Annoying Keychain Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DMRock

DMRock is on a distinguished road

I used Keychain for all my passwords and though it was great. There were a few glitches but I somehow could get by them. This problem I can't get by. Whenever Keychain prompts me for my password the usual pop up menu comes up and I can type my password in and access what I need to. Now when the Keychain pop up windows appear it's blank except for a picture of a key that is lock with a pair of keys in front of it, also there is space to type my password in, but it won't let me type in anything. The cursor appears in that space but just won't let my type and another thing the cancel and ok buttons are whited out. I click on cancel and leave keychain. I also noticed in Library/Keychain there is no folder for metadata keychain, but there is one for log in keychain.
Can someone help or explain this whacked out Keychain?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The first thing to try is open your Keychain app from Utilities and click on the Keychain Access menu. From there, select "Keychain First Aid". Sometimes when too many items are inserted in the Keychain app, it becomes corrupted. I strongly recommend using a password manager application instead.
QUOTE Thanks
DMRock

I've done that and verified and even clicked on repair and everything is fine. I can't even update my software because it prompts me for my password in keychain and I can't enter my password. Is there anything else I could do? Do you think not having the metadata keychain files is the problem?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Do you have a recent backup made with Time Machine? If you do, you can try to restore the Keychain file from a backup when it was working right. Otherwise, if you have a list of all your passwords written down somewhere else, you can try completely removing the keychain file and starting over. See the following Apple Discussions Forum Thread: LINK.
QUOTE Thanks
DMRock

Thanks chscag. For some reason my Time Machine never worked, but I do have backups. If one doesn't work I'll try the other. Thanks again for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Have you by chance changed your admin password lately?
QUOTE Thanks
DMRock

Yeah I did. Is there a problem with my password?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having that same start up loading problem everyone else has. | Urgent, need help please!! »