New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Internet Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lizzielu

lizzielu is on a distinguished road

I work on iMac and use a router plugged directly by cable to telephone and my mac and I've been using the internet for years without any problems, suddenly the internet is working and then not working.
both the telephone company and service provider say all is good, but now i'm struggling to get onto the net and my mails come through sometimes.
does anyone have any suggestions? Please, i'm desperate.
thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

1. Do you have a router/modem combined or a router and separate modem.

2. If separate does the problem persist if you connect direct to the modem?

3. Are all internet services affected email, updates, different browsers?

4. Do you have any other devices that are or could be connected? Do they have a working connection?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lizzielu

Hi there,

one
2. If separate does the problem persist if you connect direct to the modem?

3.Are all internet services affected email, updates, different browsers?
yes, sometimes my mail comes through perfectly and sometimes it won't but sometimes I can get onto the internet but the pages won't load properly and sometimes I can't get onto the net at all.

4. Do you have any other devices that are or could be connected? Do they have a working connection?
nothing except a hard drive connected sometimes, but that's all.

: )
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

OK. It would be really handy to get a friend, family member or other willing volunteer to connect to your network with a laptop, tablet, phone and see if they experience the same issues.
That would tell you if the issue is with your Mac or the router/modem/supplier.

But there are some things we can try on your Mac. Most and routine maintenance type tasks, some more network targeted. Try you connection after each step to see if there are any changes.

1. Reset the PRAM/SMC
About NVRAM and PRAM

2. Download and install Onyx (choose the one appropriate for your version of OSX)
Titanium's Software • Index page
Once running choose the Automation tab and running every on that tab.

3. Log into the Guest user and see if the problem persists

4. Reset your Network Configuration
  • In Finder go to yourMacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
  • Rename the preferences.plist to preferences.old
  • Restart your Mac
  • Reconnect to your network and try again.
  • If that doesn't work then do the same thing but for the whole SystemConfiguration folder

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lizzielu

thanks, i'll try those things and get back to you.
thanks a lot.
chat soon
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Write to external hard drive any more | Slow start up »