New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Time Capsule Configuration

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bookb1

Bookb1 is on a distinguished road

Equipment Setup:

Satellite System (VSAT) / Modem
DLink Switch
NAS
Network Printer
Users
Time Capsule
NAS
Other peripherals

I'm attempting to set up the Time Capsule to where one NAS and printer is between the Modem and Time Capsule to where the other users can access them. The other NAS is behind the Time Capsule.

With this configuration I want to be able to see / use both NAS and printer. I am behind the TC with the other NAS. I don't want the other users to see behind the TC. How should I set up the TC so I can see the NAS between Modem and TC without exposing the NAS / Peripherals behind the TC?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I'm not sure what you mean by 'behind'? the sequence in which network devices are connected isn't relevant to how they work so I can't see how 'behind' fits in.

With that setup you need a router to control IP address allocations and to handle traffic. Does the satellite kit include a router?

If it does you need to set the TC to bridge mode (to disable the DHCP server) as it is (out-of-the-box) a router and you don't want two routers handing out IP addresses on one network.

If it doesn't have a router then I'd use the TC as the router. In which case the modem needs to be connected to the TC WAN port.

In either case all the other network devices can be connected in pretty much any sequence to the switch or directly to the router or TC

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Not sure how you would accomplish that either unless you set up some type of password protected encryption on the NAS you don't want others to have access to.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow start up | Free Space on Hard Drive ABOVE partition !!!!! help »