New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Migration Assistant does not assist me, could you?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ADacome

ADacome is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !

Hello all,

So today I have been trying to use the Migration Assistant to transfer all of my files from my PC over to my Mac. I connect the two using an ethernet cable, disable the Wi-Fi, and open Migration Assistant on both, select the right options, and neither computer is recognized or found by the other.

Here are the steps I select on my Mac, in their respective order.

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.53 PM.png

After that, it gets stuck here, I've waited a half hour on both systems and nothing.

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 6.10.57 PM.png

Here's what it does on my PC:

ma3.PNG

I am running OS X 10.8.3 on my Mac, and Windows 8 on my PC.

Am I doing something wrong ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Did you download and install the "Windows Migration Assistant" on your PC? You need to download the application from Apple and install it on your PC and then follow Apple's instructions as given with the application. The instructions will tell you how to setup the network and where everything will go on the Mac from the PC. Download LINK
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Mac Specs: Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Did you download and install the "Windows Migration Assistant" on your PC? You need to download the application from Apple and install it on your PC and then follow Apple's instructions as given with the application. The instructions will tell you how to setup the network and where everything will go on the Mac from the PC. Download LINK
That is very useless, considering that there is a screenshot I posted showing the Windows Migration Assistant in Windows. I already downloaded it. I said I followed all instructions. the two computers will not find eachother
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Firewall on Network or on Windows 8? Windows 8 is pretty strange. I would try and help you but zapped windows 8 off my computers and am running 7.

How are they networked? Cable between them? If not a Hub, Switch or router what cable are you using?

Something is blocking something like a port that MA uses
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Firewall on Network or on Windows 8? Windows 8 is pretty strange. I would try and help you but zapped windows 8 off my computers and am running 7.

How are they networked? Cable between them? If not a Hub, Switch or router what cable are you using?

Something is blocking something like a port that MA uses
I am trying to transfer from Windows 8 PC and another PC which is running 7, so I can do a fresh install on both... I have two 300 gb hard drives which are full on each PC, and a terabyte on my MAc which is practically empty. I have my Mac and PC connected via a cat 6 ethernet cable. I also tried connecting both computers to the same router, trying the Migration, and still, neither of the computers will recognize the other. I've also tried using my Windows 8 PC AND my Windows 7 PC, same deal. So I am thinking it is something to do with my Mac ? Windows Firewall is disabled, and so is the firewall on my Mac. All incoming connections are allowed
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

STrange issue indeed. Let me do some checking and will be back if I find your issue.

Can the PC and the Mac see each other in networking? In other words Network shares?
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Explain what you mean by that ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is very useless, considering that there is a screenshot I posted showing the Windows Migration Assistant in Windows. I already downloaded it. I said I followed all instructions. the two computers will not find eachother
How about calming down and cool it, OK? We're trying to help you and it does no good for you to get snappy. Your screen shot only showed the Mac dialogs and we have no way of knowing if you followed all the instructions. We're not sitting in front of your computer.
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Quote:
STrange issue indeed. Let me do some checking and will be back if I find your issue.

Can the PC and the Mac see each other in networking? In other words Network shares?
If this is what you mean by that, then yes. my Mac recognizes both computers, Kristina being my sisters computer. Lol

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 8.06.22 PM.png
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How about calming down and cool it, OK? We're trying to help you and it does no good for you to get snappy. Your screen shot only showed the Mac dialogs and we have no way of knowing if you followed all the instructions. We're not sitting in front of your computer.
There is a screenshot of the Windows Migration Assistant. Double check and you'll see it at the bottom, and I am not snappy at all, it looks as if you are the one with an attitude here?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADacome View Post
There is a screenshot of the Windows Migration Assistant. Double check and you'll see it at the bottom, and I am not snappy at all, it looks as if you are the one with an attitude here?
Like I said above, cool it. You're the one who replied with "useless". The screen shot of the Windows Migration Assistant does not show up. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I'm through here. If dTravis7 can further assist you that's fine. Any more remarks to the contrary, the thread will be closed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

That was exactly what I meant by that. Network shares? If no shares were showing, you would have found your issue.

I have never used the MA over a network, only between two Macs via Firewire or USB. Many have though. Still checking to see if I can find what ports are being used in networking for MA.
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Quote:
That was exactly what I meant by that. Network shares? If no shares were showing, you would have found your issue.

I have never used the MA over a network, only between two Macs via Firewire or USB. Many have though. Still checking to see if I can find what ports are being used in networking for MA.
It says that I can connect via ethernet, and the cable I'm using I know works because I normally use it as a hardline for my pc... the PC identifies the ethernet cable as LAN when it's connected to the mac
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Check this and see if maybe he found something. Not sure in your case his info will help, but so far he was the only one with issues that got it working! Can't hurt to read it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

Quote:
Check this and see if maybe he found something. Not sure in your case his info will help, but so far he was the only one with issues that got it working! Can't hurt to read it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Unfortunately, that did not work ): I'm gonna try another PC, a laptop this time and see if it works
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do i install pyqt4 on OSx in macbook pro | Unresponsive cursor »