New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

problems with an old Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steve33324

Steve33324 is on a distinguished road

I was given a 2006 MacBook that used to work fine. All of a sudden, when I turned it on one day, all that came up was a light gray screen, eventually followed by a folder with a question mark.

I have the two original install disks that came with the laptop: MacBook Mac OS X Install Disc 1 and Disc 2 (Mac OS version 10.4.6, AHT version 3A104, Disc version 1.0) The disc says that to start up from Mac OS X, hold down the C key as the computer starts up, and it also says that to use the Apple Hardware test, hold down the D key as the computer starts up.

I have tried doing both. I insert Disc 1, turn off the power, turn it on and press the C key -- screen is completely gray with nothing to click, disc is ejected and the folder with the question mark appears. Same with pressing the D key. The hard drive is a Seagate with the Apple logo on it and 60GB. The date on it is 06476. I welcome any ideas on how to get this to work. Since this was given to me, there is nothing on the hard drive that I need to save. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33324 View Post
I was given a 2006 MacBook that used to work fine. All of a sudden, when I turned it on one day, all that came up was a light gray screen, eventually followed by a folder with a question mark.
Hard drive has probably died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33324 View Post
I have the two original install disks that came with the laptop:

I have tried doing both. I insert Disc 1, turn off the power, turn it on and press the C key -- screen is completely gray with nothing to click, disc is ejected and the folder with the question mark appears.
Probably not the 2 original disks that came with this computer. Probably discs from another computer. If these actually are the original disks that came with this computer...then the optical drive is either dirty or busted as well.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Steve33324

Thanks Nick. I got the MacBook from my sister, who is extremely well-organized. She gave me the laptop in the original box with all the accessories and paperwork, so I am quite certain they are the original disks. Based on your response, how can I figure out whether it is the hard drive or the optical reader, aside from buying and installing a new hard drive and then seeing if it works?
-- Steve
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You can try cleaning out the optical drive by use a force air canister to dislodge anything in there. See if that will make the discs work again. If it does work, then once loaded, you can use either AHT or Disk Utility to tell you if the hard drive is broken. If so, a replacement would be in order..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Also check the DVD's for smudges and dirt. Clean carefully if so. Agree on the Optical drive and compressed air. It's worked for many.

Also agree, sounds like that Seagate drive is dying. Easy to put in a new drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Steve33324

Thanks for the great suggestions, I will try cleaning the optical drive as suggested and let you know what happens.
-- Steve
QUOTE Thanks
ADacome

ADacome is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late '06 Macbook, 4gb RAM, OS X 10.8.3 Hacked onto, running smooth as any mac !

If none of the above solutions work, you can try creating a bootable USB to install OS X from, but as they said, the hard drive is probably dead.

I recently bought an 06 white Macbook from a friend for 80 dollars and spent another 90 on a new hard drive because the old one was dead.

If you are going to change the hard drive, my recommendation would be a WD Blue Edition. I am using a terabyte of that drive, and it works wonders !
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« app. crashes | Can I extract bootable OS X from my macbook? »