New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Full screen not in a new space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

If this is in the wrong place, feel free to move

Before, whenever I was watching a movie with VLC and made it full screen, it would take up a new space which I liked. I could then quickly switch between spaces with the keyboard. Now whenever I watch a movie in full screen, it still goes full screen but doesn't create a new space for the app.

How can I force VLC into putting the movie into a new space when its in full screen?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Are you using the double-arrow icon top right?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

on m VLC the double arrow is on the bottom right of the window but yes I have tried that, and also double clicking the playing movie, and cmd+F - all of which put the movie in full screen mode but dont give it a new space...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Is VLC up to date?

There were many full screen bug fixes applied 11th April.

Do you have any Spaces preferences set for VLC?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

I think it's the VLC's new design or something. LOL! mine's like that too after I updated.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

There's now a preference tick box to use the native Lion/Mountain Lion full screen option.

So update to the latest version and you'll find tick box in Preferences - Interface.

QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

There are no updates available, im running 2.0.6 and the tickbox for native full screen options is greyed out, I cant select it?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Which version of OSX are you running?

QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

On the VLC preferences - Video

Make sure Fullscreen isn't checked and that Output Module and Fullscreen Video Device is set to default.

You'll need to fully restart VLC after changing these. Then you should be able to tick the native fullscreen option.

If it's still not an available option:

1. Fully quit VLC
2. In Finder - Go to folder ~/Library/Preferences and delete the VLC folder and the file org.videolan.vlc.plist
3. Go to /mac HD name/Library/Preferences and delete org.videolan.vlc.plist

Restart VLC, all the preferences will now be at default

QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

Fullscreen was unchecked to begin with and Output and Fullscreen were also set to default. I did not need to change them.

Going to Library/Preferences there was no folder for VLC so nothing to delete.

Going to /Users/.../Preferences there was no org.videolan.plc.plist - i searched the full mac and couldnt find the file anywhere...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

That was definitely ~/Library/Preferences ? not just Library/Preferences?
That folder contains the VLC preferences, it's hard to see that VLC would function without it.

However, there's another option. Grab Appcleaner, select VLC from the application list and uninstall it. Appcleaner will remove the appropriate plist files. Then do a fresh install

QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

I dont know how to access ~/Library/Preferences rather than /Library/Preferences...I tried using the terminal but i couldnt find a folder called VLC.

Installed the appcleaner and removed VLC, followed by a fresh install but the same problem persists...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

In Finder - Go Menu - Go to folder - enter ~/Library/Preferences press OK

Did you check the Spaces preferences?

QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

I cant check spaces preferences in 10.8.3 can I? I searched spotlight and also System Preferences but couldnt find any spaces preferences... I deleted the files, and then re ran VLC but its made no difference...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« possible virus? | How do I open an .img file? »