Mac only works when charging
    Hi,

I have a problem with my Mac and have been unable to find any relevant answers to this problem online.

Basically, my Mac only works when charging. This is not a battery problem as I have bought 2 new batteries so the likelihood of both these being defective is minimal.

The second I take the lead out it switches off instantly. The Mac is approx 5 years old and works perfectly except for this issue and it just happened one day randomly. I have tried resetting the PRAM and this doesn't work either.

If anyone can give any advice on what the problem could be, what could be done to fix it and any potential costs involved it would be greatly appreciated.

I also do not have the funds to replace the computer so advice purely on fixing the problem is what I am after.

Many thanks everyone,

Ben

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    There are several things that could be defective which would cause your Mac to only run when the MagSafe Adapter charger is attached. The MagSafe Adapter itself could be defective or the DC input control board could be bad.

Since you didn't tell us which Mac you have (year and model) nor which version of OS X it's running, it's difficult to try to give you some idea of possible cost to repair.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think the adaptor is a problem as I have tried 3 chargers and it is still the same.

The Mac is a MacBook Pro 2008, Intel Core 2 Duo and is running Snow Leopard (version 10.6.8).

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    OK, thanks for posting back with specs. Since all the adapters are acting the same, I would suspect the DC input board. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the part number from the take down instructions and instructions to change it out. They may have the board in stock. Can't be sure that's it but it's not an expensive part in either case.

Also try at: Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

Thread Information