New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OSX Snow Leopard - permissions can't be repaired

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sago48

sago48 is on a distinguished road

My Dad's imac runs Snow Leopard which I installed over Leopard a while back. Today I ran disk utility 'verify permissions' (as usual when visiting him) and a list of 20 permissions needing repair was produced - most about java. I did 'repair' and all but one were noted as repaired. One of the errors could not be repaired by the repair function:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

As usual I ran verify again, and all of the same faulty permissions appeared. I did 'repair' again and they were all shown as repaired except the same one. Did verify again and they all came up again etc. Is this normal?

I'm wondering if I should run Onyx and see what that does, or whether there might be something wrong with Snow Leopard. A clean install maybe?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It is normal - all permissions that are not repaired should be ignored.
Over time, you may well see around 100 of them.

System updates (& other) will modify the original permissions.
Why Apple does not modify the permission repair utility at the same time to eliminate these messages - after 6+ years using a Mac, is still a mystery to me.

After a clean install, with the very first update, the ARDAgent will reappear in that list.

edit:
A list of some of the other messages to ignore
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sago48

sago48 is on a distinguished road

Good to know - thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sago48 View Post

I'm wondering if I should run Onyx and see what that does, or whether there might be something wrong with Snow Leopard. A clean install maybe?
Agree with bobtomay...sometimes there are a some files that don't cooperate when doing a permissions repair.

Onyx does much more than repair permissions. So I would recommend running Onyx periodically for general maintenance.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« internet security | Bluetooth & Nokia 6680 »