New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook not starting anymore, pls help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Reipet

Reipet is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Since i replaced the battery of my late 2007 macbook, the white one, i also wanted to perform a clean new installation of OS X Lion with on there before.
So i created a boot usb with the lion installer on it.
When starting the installation there was an error when copying the files.
Then i tried to recreate the install usb but always the same message.
Then i deleted the hdd and tried to restore onto the hdd, also not succeed.
Now if i starting the MacBook always the stop sign pops up.
I tried to start from usb with lion and snow leopard on it, with both i get the stop sign.
I dont have the original dvd anymore and i dont have a dvd-burner here.

What iam doing wrong?
Is it because the installer is also on the hdd?
How can i solve this problem and install lion or snow leopard.

I tried to create the disk utility on another mac but as it is 10.8 its not working with mine
I tried many things i read in the internet but nothing worked.
I dont know what else i can do. No Apple Store around here...

Hope you can help me
THX!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is the usb drive formatted at Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Reipet

Yes, i restored them from dmg images on another mac and verified them.
Now im using unetbootin to restore on a pc.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

You didn't say if you've tried the recovery partition.
QUOTE Thanks
Reipet

No, cannot use the recovery partition anymore because the hdd is blank.
Im trying to restore it but dont know how
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Did the Lion version you used for the flash drive come from the App Stopre, or did you make it when you originally purchased Lion?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Reipet

Coming from App-Store.

Just now i visited the Apple Support. They say i can only install the software originally intended for my mac on a empty HDD, which would be 10.5, the ni can update to 10.7 after updating to 10.6.
My idea was to make a clean install directly of 10.7, seems its not working....to bad there is no workaround...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Where are you getting the 10.7 from? There should be no issue at all making say a bootable Flash Drive from the 10.7 installer. Done it 50 times here. I have never gone back to the original OS to install 10.7.
QUOTE Thanks
Reipet

I got it from a friend, he download it from app-store some time ago.

I tried to make bootable flash drive with 10.7 and 10.6 but both times i only get the stop sign when starting.
I also cannot see why i should not be able to install directly 10.7 but the support says cannot.
I ordered now the original DVD again, with 10.5 on it....
QUOTE Thanks
Reipet

OK, never thought about there would be a kind of protection when using this.

Anyway i will wait for the original Leopard DVD from Apple. Seems it was hard for them to find a copy somewhere....shipping time is 20 working days....hope then its working out.

Thanks folks!
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reipet View Post
OK, never thought about there would be a kind of protection when using this.

Anyway i will wait for the original Leopard DVD from Apple. Seems it was hard for them to find a copy somewhere....shipping time is 20 working days....hope then its working out.

Thanks folks!
I'm sure it will work out perfectly once the Leopard DVD arrives. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Is why the question about Lion's origins was asked gently.

Perhaps best option was Snow Leopard OS X.6 for $20 shipped. Discs and OS from your friend's computer will not work.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to login to MacBook | Mac only works when charging »