New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

"Your computer has restarted because of a problem"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Drugula

Drugula is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2008, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, 3.06 gHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 24" Screen, 1TB HDD

Hi, I have an early 2008 24 inch iMac, and yesterday it shut itself down and then rebooted to a screen saying "your computer has shut down because of a problem. Please wait a few moments for it to boot or press any key to continue", then proceeds to go to the screen with the apple and the gear moving for about 20 seconds, then turns off and starts from the "your computer has shut down because of a problem" screen.

It's been repeating this process since yesterday afternoon.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

What were you doing when this started? What version of OS X are you running? Do you have the original media that came with the iMac? If so, put it in and hold down C during startup to boot from it and then do a disk repair from Disk Utility for starters and see what happens..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Drugula

Mac Specs: Late 2008, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, 3.06 gHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 24" Screen, 1TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Welcome to Mac-Forums

What were you doing when this started? What version of OS X are you running? Do you have the original media that came with the iMac? If so, put it in and hold down C during startup to boot from it and then do a disk repair from Disk Utility for starters and see what happens..
I was running Logic Pro and had a Behringer USB audio interface plugged in. I am running the latest version of Mountain Lion, and I don't have the original media. I have, however, tried to boot from the recovery partition by holding the option key (alt) when booting.

This didn't work, it just went to the screen with the apple and the gear, which span for a bit then stopped and hung.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have you tried booting it with all non-essential peripherals unplugged?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Drugula

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Have you tried booting it with all non-essentially peripherals unplugged?
Hi
Yeah I've tried literally everything I can think of, and scoured forums doing what other people have tried.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

What you're experiencing is known as a "Kernel Panic" or "KP", for short. It is roughly analogous to the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" on a Windows machine.

This happens because a component of the operating system failed unexpectedly, causing the OS to crash. It is often the result of a hardware problem, though it can be the result of a system configuration change. Unfortunately, without your system discs, you can't run a hardware diagnostic.

That said, with the age of the machine, I'd bet money on a bad hard drive. If you're handy with a screwdriver, replacement shouldn't be that bad. But it will require some disassembly. You can find details on iFixIt.com, or you can likely find a video tutorial if you Google "24 2008 iMac hard drive replacement".

Good luck.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Drugula

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
What you're experiencing is known as a "Kernel Panic" or "KP", for short. It is roughly analogous to the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" on a Windows machine.

This happens because a component of the operating system failed unexpectedly, causing the OS to crash. It is often the result of a hardware problem, though it can be the result of a system configuration change. Unfortunately, without your system discs, you can't run a hardware diagnostic.

That said, with the age of the machine, I'd bet money on a bad hard drive. If you're handy with a screwdriver, replacement shouldn't be that bad. But it will require some disassembly. You can find details on iFixIt.com, or you can likely find a video tutorial if you Google "24 2008 iMac hard drive replacement".

Good luck.
Hi,

That's what I thought, which is why I tried resetting the NVRAM because that's supposed to help however nothing appeared to happen.

I bought it refurbished and I know that a new hard drive was put in, so I don't understand how a (relatively) brand new hard drive would fail - or even a 5 year old one for that matter!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I bought it refurbished and I know that a new hard drive was put in, so I don't understand how a (relatively) brand new hard drive would fail - or even a 5 year old one for that matter!
I've had a brand new hard drive right out of the box fail. Known as "dead on arrival". Try booting in Safe Mode to see if you can run that way. Press and hold your shift key as soon as you hear the "Bong" sound and keep holding it until the Apple appears and it boots. Safe mode disables all third party drivers, start up apps, and the system sound. If it runs OK in safe mode that should eliminate hardware failure.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugula View Post
Hi,

That's what I thought, which is why I tried resetting the NVRAM because that's supposed to help however nothing appeared to happen.

Thanks
Because they are mechanical in nature, with lots of moving parts. All mechanical devices fail - it's not a question of "if", but "when". They're also subject to magnetic desensitization on the surface where the data is stored (the actual "disc" part). And finally, they're hermetically sealed and sometimes the seal breaks down. Something as small as a particle of smoke could cause the heads to be fouled.

I would echo chscag's comments - I've had hard disks run for many years - I've also had them fail within weeks, months or dead on arrival. This is why backups are so crucial. It's also why the industry is moving toward solid state drives (SSD), which should prove to be more reliable.

QUOTE Thanks
Drugula

Hi,

I took it into the apple store who ran a diagnostic on it and attempted to boot from their software on an external HD, to no avail.

They said more likely than not it's the RAM, and that they could replace them (I have 2 2GB DDR-2 RAM cards) for 35 each, but worst case scenario it's the main logic board, which could be replaced for ~500.

I bought it refurbished, so I contacted the seller and he's agreed to replace the necessary parts for free.

Thanks for everybody's help, and I hope this answer is somewhat helpful to anyone finding this forum with the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugula View Post
I bought it refurbished, so I contacted the seller and he's agreed to replace the necessary parts for free.
Give that seller some rep points!
QUOTE Thanks
Drugula

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Give that seller some rep points!
Yeah! Top notch as well because I hadn't even bought a warranty from him!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple username problem | Error/Crash Report Macbook Pro »