New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Osx 10.8.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Randolph

Randolph is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded to OSX 10.8.3 and it "removed" my Photoshop, Illustrator, etc from Adobe CS2. Also removed Adobe Acrobat Professional 7. I know those are old versions but they did all I needed and I had no intention of upgrading those. Now it seems if I want to have access to those programs, I will have to upgrade those also and my $20 OSX upgrade will now cost me over $1200.
Is there any solution to this problem besides the expensive Adobe upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

Upgraded from what? A OS X upgrade does not remove applications. What Mac did you do the upgrade on?

Adobe CS2 seems to be meant for PowerPC-based Macs and starting with Lion, you can't run PowerPC apps anymore.

Provide more detail about what you have and we'll see how to proceed..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome tot he forums.

What did you upgrade from? Everyone should know by now both Lion and Mountain Lion no longer support Rosetta hence PowerPC applications will not run. Depending on your Mac specifications, which you did not include, maybe back to OS X.6.8. Drat beaten by a mere minute!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
I just upgraded to OSX 10.8.3 and it "removed" my Photoshop, Illustrator, etc from Adobe CS2. Also removed Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.
I don't think that "removed" actually describes the situation properly. With the OS 10.8.3 upgrade...your old applications are no longer compatible with the latest OS X version (10.8.3). In fact...the latest OS X version that could have been compatible with Adobe CS2 would have been OS 10.6 Snow Leopard.

One very important thing to do before upgrading your computers OS is to verify that those important applications are compatible. CS2 is pretty darn old...since CS6 is now the standard.

CS2 was released in 2005..so incompatibility in 2013 should almost be expected.

Your only options are:

- reinstall the old OS you were running
- purchase a newer version of Adobe Creative Suite that's compatible with 10.8.3
- buy the proper model old used Macintosh computer...install the old OS you were running...and install CS2 on that computer

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Randolph

Well. I answered all of this one time, but I don't see it now. Perhaps I can't add 2+3 correctly.
Details:
27" iMAC 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16 GB RAM
Upgrading from OSX 10.6.8

Yes. I know the upgrade did not physically remove the files from their respective folders in the Applications directory, but the install dialogue read, "certain applications are not compatible with this version of OSX and they were 'removed.'" I used the word "removed" because that is what the install dialogue said; not my word.

When I look for the applications, there is a Circle and a Slash icon over the launch icon and they won't function.
The install "removed" all of Adobe Creative Suite CS2, Adobe Acrobat Pro version 7, Dreamweaver 8 and other less important stuff.
Yes. I know CS2 is old but it worked just fine and was all I needed to do my work.
I do not have $1200 to buy CS6.
I only upgraded to OSX 10.8.3 because some new software I wanted required it.
Now I'm very sorry I did.
QUOTE Thanks
Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

1- reinstall the old OS you were running
2- purchase a newer version of Adobe Creative Suite that's compatible with 10.8.3
3- buy the proper model old used Macintosh computer...install the old OS you were running...and install CS2 on that computer

HTH,

- Nick
1-I can't do that, that will disallow me to use the new software I just bought that requires 10.7 or 10.8
2-don't have the money and don't really need CS6
3-actually a good idea since I have a G3 and a G4 and a MacBookPro G4 and they run CS2 just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Not to be rude, but did you really expect that software you bought once nearly 10 years ago would run forever, regardless of any changes in hardware or software?

The same thing would have happened if you had bought a new Mac, for the same reason. Upgrading at least periodically is *part and parcel* of professional software. If you're not prepared to do that, don't make the initial investment.

(also, there's no such thing as a MacBook Pro G4, you mean a Powerbook)

The good news is that for your likely use of Photoshop, you'd probably find Pixelmator a marvel (and it costs a whopping $15) and it works just fine on your updated Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
3-actually a good idea since I have a G3 and a G4 and a MacBookPro G4 and they run CS2 just fine.
Good Deal! Sometimes those old computers laying around can come in handy!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Randolph

Nick,
Thanks for the suggestion. It is not as convenient to switch to another computer in the middle of a project as to just switch apps on the same computer, but for me it's more convenient that upgrading some very expensive software.

Chas_m,
Thank you for the Pixelmator suggestion. I will look at it but I can still use good old CS2 on my MacBookPro.
Even though you say, "Not to be rude," I still found your statement "If you're not prepared to do that, don't make the initial investment," to be exactly that.
A somewhat bold and arrogant statement to someone whose situation you do not know. As a video professional, I purchased every upgrade of Photoshop from Adobe since version 3 as well as every other app that I needed to do my business; hundreds if not thousands of dollars per year. I was forced out of business in 2008 due to a back injury and do not currently have the ability to simply upgrade it all when the hardware changes.
I imagine that you or anyone else is unpleasantly surprised when a software application, no matter how old, was working perfectly with one version of an operating system and then suddenly doesn't with the next upgrade. I don't find that reaction at all unprofessional.
So. I do appreciate that you made a reply and a suggested an alternative application, it was just your condescending sentence that I found offensive.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Randolph,

Since Apple switched away from the PowerPC processor for their Macs in 2006 to be entirely Intel based, they continued support for a short time and then with OS X Lion decided to force the and of those who still had legacy software that needed Rosetta support.

I imagine that if Apple decided to not drop Rosetta support, a lot of people would continue to use the older versions of software without any problems..so not really sure what the true motivation is, especially when some of the software cost a LOT of money to even upgrade let alone purchase new..

As painful it is maintain multiple machines for your work, since you do have an older Mac, that's relatively "cheap" fallback for you until you decide the time is right to invest in upgraded Adobe software..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Nick,
Thanks for the suggestion. It is not as convenient to switch to another computer in the middle of a project as to just switch apps on the same computer, but for me it's more convenient that upgrading some very expensive software.
That's why I suggested it...and I have suggested it to many other folks in the same situation as you many times!

If CS2 does everything you need it to do with your projects...then using an older Mac that you may have (or even if you didn't have)...the cost of purchasing an older Mac to run CS2 is MUCH less expensive than upgrading to a newer version of Adobe Creative Suite.

Of course many of us need to run newer OS versions (for various reasons). So if purchasing a newer version of Adobe Creative Suite is not in the budget (or simply not necessary)...then the two computer approach will get the job done.

By the way, another solution in your situation (where you can do everything on the one computer)...is you partition the hard drive into two partitions.

- On one partition you install OS 10.8.3
- On the 2nd partition you install the OS version you were using prior to the install of OS 10.8.3...which you were running CS2 with.

This way everything is on the same computer...but the downside is you need to reboot the computer to use each partition.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Atik

Atik is on a distinguished road

May I suggest that you install Parallels Desktop, and install Mac OSX 10.6.8 as a virtual machine into Parallels. This will save you from having to reboot each time you want to use one operating system or the other.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New member and help | Slow shut down and reboot »