New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lost many of my Safari bookmarks.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

I was trying to reorganize them by dragging /dropping a folder of saved links in the "All Bookmarks" view when I got an error message telling that they were syncing and I couldn't do that. When I went back two folders of links were missing. I found bookmarks.plist in my library/safari folder, but can't find it in Time Machine (Library folder is hidden and the normal tricks in Finder don't seem to work in TM).

Ideas? I have over a couple hundred links I've collected and really need to recover them.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I don't know about Time Machine. My suggestion is for after you get your bookmarks back.

Download another browser. Export your bookmarks from Safari and import them into the other browser. It will function as a back up for you. Periodically do the export-import routine to keep the back up current. I know this will work with Firefox, not sure about Chrome, et. al.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also you could use a sync app which also acts as a backup: Download Xmarks for Safari for Mac - Sync your Safari bookmarks across computers and to your iPhone. MacUpdate.com

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

But no one knows how to recover them?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Click on your Time Machine drive in Finder. Work your way to /Users/yourname/Library/Safari in the latest backup (not the one that says "Latest", the latest dated one).
Or the one just before you did this. Copy bookmarks.plist to your user folder on your boot drive. Put it in your current Library/Safari. Should be ok to go.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If you navigate to ~/library/safari and then open Time Machine, does that work? (note you need to launch TM from the dock)

Alternatively you can try Easyfind it's free and can earch your hard disk or TM backup, including hidden files.

If you find what you're after make sure you copy the file not move it.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Problem is that the library folder is hidden and the normal tricks that you would use in Finder to unhide it don't work in TM. That said, I typed bookmarks.plist in the search window and it was odd which ones TM would elect to show...eventually by moving around in time I was able to find one that was real close to the one I needed. Not as intuitive as I'd hoped but eventually worked.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Problem is that the library folder is hidden and the normal tricks that you would use in Finder to unhide it don't work in TM.
That's why I suggested what I did. Regardless, glad you got them recovered

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Is your ~/Library folder visible in your user folder? If you want it to be, open a Terminal and type:
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Input your login password (you wont see any input but it's there). It should also show up on your Time Machine drive.
Here is mine, no problem finding things. This is my backup drive in Finder, Not Time Machine app.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_4_19_13_1_22_PM.jpg (408.1 KB, 21 views)

QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Is your ~/Library folder visible in your user folder? If you want it to be, open a Terminal and type:
sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/
Input your login password (you wont see any input but it's there). It should also show up on your Time Machine drive.
Here is mine, no problem finding things. This is my backup drive in Finder, Not Time Machine app.
I did that, but it didn't unhide the ~/library in TM (until then I left it hidden because I knew I could get to it with the option key)
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
That's why I suggested what I did. Regardless, glad you got them recovered
Problem is your suggestion did not work for dates prior to unhiding the ~/library folder
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The terminal command should have worked. Once the user library has been made visible, it will appear in all of your apps including Time Machine.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Then please tell that to my iMac because it fails to listen to me
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

OK, now I'm getting really cranky. I've "restored" my bookmarks.plist more than once and then when I go back the folder I'm looking for is gone again. What in the H&^%# is going on? I am getting so tired of the "it just works" crap...
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

What folder are you looking for? Where are you looking?

I love a good mystery!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I-photo doesn't enlarge photo when you double click on it | Mac book pro 17" »