New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

finding photos after hard drive change on imac - iphoto problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monalisa00

monalisa00 is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac, and the recalled hard drive was replaced last week.

i used to Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule, before taking it in.

Got it back, when it turned it on, Airport Utility opened up telling me all I had on the time capsule, installed everything that came up, took 5 days connected by usb.

It appears all my music, desktop, programs were loaded. But I am having problems with Iphoto, a popup box saying "What photo library do you want iphoto to use" I have no idea where to take it, it gives me options of opening other library or create a new one.

I searched my mac for photos and they are not found on computer. I backed all my photos up on another external drive, so i didn't lose my photos. I'm just wondering why time machine isn't putting iphoto back the way it was when it was backed up.

Any suggestions. I don't want to create a new file or direct it to a library, as i am not sure which one to direct it to. I have no idea where it was directed to, initially. I don't recall ever doing this when i got the computer.

Help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The iPhoto application does not store photos separately but instead they are grouped into a special file called the "iPhoto Library". Have you attempted to open the iPhoto Library to see if your photos were there?
QUOTE Thanks
monalisa00

monalisa00 is on a distinguished road

the only files i find regarding iphoto are "iphoto library recovered photos" and "iphoto slideshows" and there are only a few photos in there. I had 40,000 photos in my iphotos before this.

I tried to get into the Time Capsule and slide them in, like i can from other external drives. but can't locate the time capsule files. When i go into Time Machine, there are no prior backups.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Time Machine backup is stored on the Time Capsule as a "sparse bundle". In order to read or mount the sparse bundle image, double click on it and then open it with Time Machine as per normal.

These are the Apple instructions:

If your backups are in a sparse bundle, double-click the sparse bundle to mount it, then select the Time Machine Backups (or Backup of <computer name>) partition that will appear, indented, below the sparse bundle.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

When iPhoto launches on a new machine it creates a library called iPhoto Library in your Pictures folder. This is done automatically, which is why you have no recollection of doing it.

If you've used migration assitant to move all you data back your iPhoto Library will be in your Pictures folder.
If iPhoto was run prior to you running migration assitant you may now have two iPhoto Libraries (one empty, one from you rbackup). Checking their size (right-click - Get Info) should give a clue as to which is your genuine one but you can also hold option on starting iPhoto to force it into asking you to choose a library. You can select and browse any iPhoto library and see if it contains your photos etc. It'll do no harm.

If you genuinely don't have your iPhoto library on your Mac you can open Time Machine, navigate to the Pictures folder and drag the backed-up iPhoto Library across to your Macs Pictures folder

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD no longer shown in Finder | Target Disk Mode Frustration »