New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Change the sidebar's format to a tree view

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snowshed

snowshed is on a distinguished road

OS X 10.8.3

I'm not a big fan of the view provided in the Sidebar of a Finder window. I like the detail you used to get in Windows before Vista.

Is there a utility out there that can change the display of the sidebar to a tree type view?

I've got a project in mind, specifically a hard drive organization plan, that needs a tree view in the side bar to work.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, not that I know of. The Mac isn't a PC, it doesn't really use tree view much. The sidebar is not meant to be an entire system map, it's meant only as a holder for aliases to frequently-accessed destinations and smart folders (saved searches, like "all photos" or "MS Office documents opened in the last two weeks" that sort of thing).

Macs also don't really require a "hard drive organization plan." Your machine came with a few basic folders (Pictures, Music, Movies, Documents) in your home folder. You can certainly add to that list, or make subfolders inside say Documents for example. Thanks to features like Spotlight, the dock and pre-existing folders, I can find pretty much anything I want in a click or at most, two.
QUOTE Thanks
snowshed

snowshed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
No, not that I know of. The Mac isn't a PC, it doesn't really use tree view much. The sidebar is not meant to be an entire system map, it's meant only as a holder for aliases to frequently-accessed destinations and smart folders (saved searches, like "all photos" or "MS Office documents opened in the last two weeks" that sort of thing).
Just to be a muckraker/stirrer of the pot, this is a PC. PC originally meant Personal Computer, not Windows.

With my desire/effort to mimic the Windows 7/8 Libraries function, a tree view is needed. I've not been able to devise a different way to get at my goal. Other than a dedicated software program, which would limit the usefulness.

Given the tree view request here, and the libraries function I've posted about in another thread, would it be useful to state what I'm trying to accomplish? It would be a lo-o-o-ong post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Macs also don't really require a "hard drive organization plan." Your machine came with a few basic folders (Pictures, Music, Movies, Documents) in your home folder. You can certainly add to that list, or make subfolders inside say Documents for example. Thanks to features like Spotlight, the dock and pre-existing folders, I can find pretty much anything I want in a click or at most, two.
Respectfully, I disagree wholeheartedly. Most people don't just put stuff hither and yon in their house, why would you do the same with data on your computer?

Finding something isn't the problem, grouping like files is. It's been suggested to me to use Smart Folders (which I take is just an automatically updated saved search), but to do what I want could end up with tens and hundreds of Smart Folders. The number of search parameters could also become onerous. Not a practical solution.

This is the companion thread to my Windows Libraries thread.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie to USB | Applications only launch in safe mode »