New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - 10.2.8 to 10.3

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

switchedtomac1

I'm new to macs. I replaced my harddrive in a G3 Lombard 333, upgraded memory to 384MB and managed to get OS 10.2 installed and updated to 10.2.8( I had trouble with this and had to use XPOSTOFACTO to install it). I try to install the 10.3 OS and and I get the screen that says you have to restart, I click on restart and then nothing-just a spinning icon? I tried the XPOSTOFACTO to install it and that program goes a while and then begins to repeat itself over and over and gets stuck.
I also tried to install OS 9.2 and that would not install?
I bought this computer on ebay and the OS disks came with it-I have the original 4GB hard drive that came with the computer that had OS9, OS 10.3 on it and I ordered a hard drive enclosure with a USB connector. What is the best method to copy my old hard drive onto my new one so I get my old OS 9 and 10.3 back?
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Use Disk Utility.

Boot to the 10.3 CD and select Disk Utility from the Installer menu.

Make sure before you boot that the Ext USB drive is plugged in and contails either a disk image or clean install.

Use the Restore option in Disk Utility to image the USB to the Internal HD.
QUOTE Thanks
switchedtomac1

Thanks- I had no problems with the OS on the original hard drive but I can't get the OS 10.3 cd to boot past the restart menu-
QUOTE Thanks
switchedtomac1

I can't find any restore option in the disk utility. There has to be a simple way to copy my original hard drive connected via usb cable to my new internal hard drive-I tried carbon copy and that would not install-It said I needed a bsd file, I have the bsd subsystem installed.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice

When booted to the 10.3 cd and using the disk utility from the cd, select any disk in the lefthand column. Then you should see a restore option in the right hand pane along with first aid, erase, partion and RAID. This is where you select your source and destinations for restore.
QUOTE Thanks
switchedtomac1

I saw info, first aid, erase, partition and raid but no restore-
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

This is a 10.3 not a 10.2 disk right?

What can I say,...10.3's disk utility should have that option. I just imaged (4) bondi iMacs over USB 1.1 that way.
QUOTE Thanks
switchedtomac1

I think I have bad install disks, these are backups-not originals. However the the OS10.3.9 on my old hard drive works OK. I was able to install the carbon copy cloner( it turned out that my BSD subsystem was missing something) Since my old hard drive is working ok and it's in a usb enclosure, can I copy the OS 10.3.9 onto a CD R/W disk on a windows pc and use that to cd to get it on my new harddrive?? Also what files would I need to copy in OS10.3.9?
I just did the drag and drop from old hd to new one with OS 9 and it boots up fine on the new hd.
I'm sticking with OS 9 and 10.2.8-they work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No DVD drive, want tiger! Found solution! Need advice! | Disk Utility Error. »