upgrade iMac from 10.5.8
    My iMac currently runs Leopard 10.5.8. Can I upgrade the operating system?

Here are the specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
    SMC Version (system): 1.44f0
    Serial Number (system): QP92321D8TT
    Hardware UUID: 7F544B9B-F8AC-52DA-8D14-

Thanks!

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    You should be able to run Mountain Lion just fine on that machine. I am currently running it on a 2008 MacBook Pro with the Core2Duo Processor. There are a few things you need to know:

1.In order to download Mountain Lion you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to get access to the Mac App Store.

2. After upgrading to Snow Leopard you can download and install Mountain Lion from the App store.

3. if you are still running Power PC software that software will work under Snow Leopard but not under Lion or Mountain. That software would need to be upgraded / replaced with other software.

Loss of data is unlikely during this process but I strongly suggest making a backup of anything "mission critical".
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    You should be able to run Mountain Lion just fine on that machine. I am currently running it on a 2008 MacBook Pro with the Core2Duo Processor. There are a few things you need to know:

1.In order to download Mountain Lion you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to get access to the Mac App Store.

2. After upgrading to Snow Leopard you can download and install Mountain Lion from the App store.

3. if you are still running Power PC software that software will work under Snow Leopard but not under Lion or Mountain. That software would need to be upgraded / replaced with other software.

Loss of data is unlikely during this process but I strongly suggest making a backup of anything "mission critical".

Thanks, Slydude!! A quick question that you or others might know the answer to. Mac OS X 10.6 requires, among a few other things that I do have, a DVD drive for installation. A really embarrassing question: how do I connect a DVD drive? Is it through a USB port? I do not have one but I assume I can borrow one. My iMac is from 2009.

Thanks!!

Specs:
    Yeah. You can connect an external DVD drive through the USB port. External drives are pretty cheap these days.

If you know someone with a Mac and working DVD drive it should also be possible to create a 10.6 installer with a USB flash drive once you have the disc. Do It Scared! Blog Archive Clone Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD to USB Flash Drive

Props to member harryb2448 for that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Yeah. You can connect an external DVD drive through the USB port. External drives are pretty cheap these days.

If you know someone with a Mac and working DVD drive it should also be possible to create a 10.6 installer with a USB flash drive once you have the disc. Do It Scared! Blog Archive Clone Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD to USB Flash Drive

Props to member harryb2448 for that link.
    Got it! Again, many thanks!!

Specs:
    Good luck. Let us know if you have any problems.

BTW Mountain Lion runs fine on 4 GB of ram. Depending upon how many apps you have open and what your usage is additional memory is nice.

Thread Information