New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac, download tab help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soplop

soplop is on a distinguished road

So, what happened was i was uploading something and i was doing something else as well
so i accidentally dragged my today tab, under the Search for somewhere and now i cant find it :/ heres what it looks like now

this is the link! -

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b0219b690...17u4o1_250.png

PLEASE HELP
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Open the Saved Searches folder. It's in username/Library/Saved Searches

It should be a Smart folder in here that you can just drag back to the Sidebar

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
soplop

i did that but this is what pops up

i tried opening it but it just leads to one folder with a similar title and it keeps going like that
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell if you're in the correct location but you can just recreate the Smart Folder

Here are some good step-by-steps
Restore Smart Searches to OS X Lion's Finder Sidebar

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
soplop

could you please tell me if you have the time how too?

im actually younger than 16 so i dont really get the technical stuff..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

The info you need is on that link I posted but here's the bit you need specifically:

Creating a Smart Folder

Make sure the Finder is the front most application, either by opening a Finder window or by clicking on your Mac's Desktop. We will recreate the Today Smart Search from the pre-Lion Finder sidebar as an example.

1. From the Finder menu, select File, New Smart Folder.

2. A Finder window will open, with the search pane open.

3. Select the area to search; for this example, click the This Mac item.

4. On the far right side of the search pane, click the plus (+) button.

5. The Search Criteria area will display, showing various buttons and fields, depending on the search criteria you chose.

6. Click the first search criteria button and select 'Last opened date' from the drop-down menu.

7. Click the second search criteria button and select 'Today' from the drop-down menu.

8. Hold down the Option button and click the '…' button to the far right of the search criteria you just set up.

9. Two new search criteria rows will display.

10. In the first new row, set the single button to 'None'.

11. In the last row of the search criteria, set the first button to 'Kind' and the second button to 'Folder.'

12. The search results will display.

13. Set the search order to Last Opened by clicking on the Last Opened column in the search results (you may need to scroll to see the column).

14. The finished Smart Folder search criteria should look like this (I've placed single quotes around the button text):

Search: 'This Mac'

'Last opened date' is 'today'

'None' of the following are true

'Kind' is 'Folder'

15 Save the Resulting Search as a Smart Folder

Click the Save button on the far right of the search pane.

Give the Smart Folder a name, such as Today.

You can leave the 'Where' setting at the default location.

Place a check mark next to the Add to Sidebar box.

Click the Save button.

The Today item will be added to the Favorites section of the Finder Sidebar.

QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

What a fabulous advertisement for the Forums and the way they help people. It must have taken ages to type out these instructions, mrplow. We are all very grateful to folks like you who give up so much of your free time.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It was mainly a cut and paste job but the sentiment is appreciated. Thank you.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Was this perhaps a case of accidently dragging the smart folder to the Desktop?

Wouldn't it be possible to just re-check it in Finder preferences, from the Sidebar tab?
QUOTE Thanks
soplop

thank you! so much! it means alot seriously thank you <3
but im stuck at this part
8. Hold down the Option button and click the '…' button to the far right of the search criteria you just set up.
i cant find the '...' button.. on the far right is the (+) & (-)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Just clicking the + a couple of times will achieve the same thing

QUOTE Thanks
soplop

thank you so much everyone, i put it back in.
Thank you for making this forums it really helped me.

<3 <3
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Was this perhaps a case of accidently dragging the smart folder to the Desktop?

Wouldn't it be possible to just re-check it in Finder preferences, from the Sidebar tab?
Is this feature still available in Mountain Lion?

Soplop:
Glad you got sorted.

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Is this feature still available in Mountain Lion?
I don't know. I also don't see where the OP identified an OS version.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restoring curl | credentials for Network share on 10.6.8 SL »