New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Abnormal RAM usage when all main applications are closed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cristanregep

cristanregep is on a distinguished road

Above is a screenshot of my Activity Monitor. It shows that although all my main applications are closed, 3GB or RAM ( out of my 4GB ) are used. This has been happening for the past week and at some point it uses almost everything for no apparent reason.
I know this is very general, but anything that goes through your head that might be the root of it, or might provide a way of finding out, please write it down and I will try it and provide an answer wether it worked or not.

I am running Mac OS Version 10.7.5 . I have looked at third party Kernel Extensions and the only one I had was from Virtual Box, which I deleted, and this is still happening.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There is nothing unusual there. Current memory in use is ~1.5 GB - the total of Wired and Active.
You should find that is approx the same as will be used after a re-boot.

Inactive contains stuff that has recently been used by the memory so that if you want to start the same thing again, it launches/runs much faster and does not need to be re-loaded into memory. However, Inactive memory can be used by anything and should be considered as Free memory for your purposes. And, it's done this since I started using Macs.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cristanregep

cristanregep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
There is nothing unusual there. Current memory in use is ~1.5 GB - the total of Wired and Active.
You should find that is approx the same as will be used after a re-boot.

Inactive contains stuff that has recently been used by the memory so that if you want to start the same thing again, it launches/runs much faster and does not need to be re-loaded into memory. However, Inactive memory can be used by anything and should be considered as Free memory for your purposes. And, it's done this since I started using Macs.
The problem is that if I start a browser and open up let's say about 10 tabs with FB and a site with a lot of Flash animations, then available goes down to 7 MB Ram and everything becomes very very slow. During this time Inactive memory stays at the same levels. Are there known issues about Inactive not being cleared when there is a lack of Free RAM?

At some point this week I opened Finder, or connected my external monitor, and the screen froze for 1 min before resuming to normal. I've been using my MAC for 3 years and I've never seen this happen and I haven't installed anything special recently.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Safari will do that even without Flash - Flash is going to exacerbate the issue.

Have you ever done any maintenance on your machine?
If so, with what?
What version of OS X are you running?
How much free space on your drive?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« best software option to retrieve files on mac? | .m4a changes to .mp3? »