New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Clean install of 10.6 from USB drive (from install disk)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

My Superdrive is broken and I need to Clean Install my new copy of Snow Leopard over 10.5.
I am trying to copy SL from the install disc to a USB drive, using another mac but can't find the Disk Image anywhere on the CD. If there is no Disk Image, what am I meant to drag to the "Source" field when Restoring the USB drive using DisK Utilities?
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Also.. when erasing & re-formatting my MacHD before installing 10.6, which options should I choose; Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or GUID Partition option and what is the difference?
Whats the benefit of partitioning my drive also.

Ps, im using a Late 2008 MBP (unibody) 2.4ghz intel core duo
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Try this JoshJ:-

Do It Scared! Blog Archive Clone Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Install DVD to USB Flash Drive

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Thanks a lot for the link!
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Hey Harry,

During my clean install how should I erase & set up my drive? Do I partition it for best performance? Is so how exactly should I partition and what are the implications of doing this? What format shall I use; "os extended (journaled), (case sensitive), etc." I am using my mac prominently for music production & normal productivity/admin stuff.

many thanks,
Josh
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Well depends on what you want to save Josh. Formatting will wipe everything on the drive. May be best to back up to an external first using cloning software such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper if there is anything you want saved.

Boot from the flash drive by starting and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and erase, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run then update to OS X.6.8using the Combo Updater.

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well depends on what you want to save Josh. Formatting will wipe everything on the drive. May be best to back up to an external first using cloning software such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper if there is anything you want saved.

Boot from the flash drive by starting and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime, leave Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and erase, format Mac OS Extended (Journaled), back to the Installer and run then update to OS X.6.8using the Combo Updater.

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Hi Harry,

I have made a Time Machine backup - is this sufficient?
If I have a 232GB HD with 68GB free, exactly what portion of it shall I partition for application use and how much for memory?

I know that when using just one partition it is advised to keep at least 20GB free so apps can run as fast as possible. How does this principal translate to a partitioned drive? Do I need to create my application partition 20GB larger than the current size of my Application folder?

josh
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Ahh see my response to your other post. Josh the problem is you need a larger hard drive. Remember the 15% free rule. Some say even 20-25%.

QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Ahh see my response to your other post. Josh the problem is you need a larger hard drive. Remember the 15% free rule. Some say even 20-25%.
Thanks a lot Harry.. responded to ur other post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applications only launch in safe mode | Partitioning for optimum speed »