New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Rainbow wheel

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jaded44

jaded44 is on a distinguished road

How to stop the rainbow wheel from constantly spinning?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Read a couple of the links in my signature (Beachballs & Speedup).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You're running too many things at once or don't have enough RAM. Those are not mutually exclusive.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
You're running too many things at once or don't have enough RAM
Not necessarily. I've got 4Gb and I still get the ball when opening Safari, and it's the only thing open.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Not necessarily. I've got 4Gb and I still get the ball when opening Safari, and it's the only thing open.
Check Activity Monitor. Your "page outs" and "swap file" may be getting large. The simple solution (if this is the problem)...is to reboot the computer more often.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

It happens when the computer has just been started.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
It happens when the computer has just been started.
If this is the case...and you have 4 gig of ram like you mentioned above...then your:

- hard drive may be getting full
- hard drive may be beginning to fail
- you may need to do some maintenance (run Onyx)

* Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Barrygou

Barrygou is on a distinguished road

If you only have Safari open and you have the spinning wheel you have big problems. Or you have other apps open you are unaware of. Take it to an Apple retail store Genius Bar. Make an appointment online. They are always busy.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

After a fresh reboot I sometimes also get the beachball when just opening Safari (it sometimes reloads some previous used tabbed-websites e.g. Facebook) but after a minute or so, it seems it is working flawlessly (perhaps loading into memory or loading things out of memory is causing a temporary beach ball problem when freshly starting up certain apps)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Head into Safari - Preferences - General

Change the 'Safari opens with:" away from Opens all windows from last session.

Having that option selected and you had several windows/tabs open last session is going to give you the beachball quite often while all of those sites are loading - there is no stopping the beach ball in that circumstance if you had a bunch of sites open you want re-loaded.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Head into Safari - Preferences - General

Change the 'Safari opens with:" away from Opens all windows from last session.

Having that option selected and you had several windows/tabs open last session is going to give you the beachball quite often while all of those sites are loading - there is no stopping the beach ball in that circumstance if you had a bunch of sites open you want re-loaded.
I dont seem to have that option.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Bob, what version of Safari you running? I do not see that option here either in the latest version but I swear it was there at one time like you said.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Just did some research and 5.1.7 was the last Safari that had that option! Why did they remove it? Was handy.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

They broke it but some say this extension will do what you after. It can't hurt to try it! Hope it helps.

SweetP Productions - Extensions
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have it here - suggest checking what extensions you have installed.
I had to remove Adblock from Safari because it breaks a couple of other things.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 5.45.27 PM.png (108.6 KB, 13 views)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Superdrive | MBA Storage »