New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Virus I can't remove

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brian_M

Brian_M is on a distinguished road

I'm running my virus scan and i get a notification that exploit-scripnull is on my system under the private/tmp/"infectedfilename". I can't get to this location in Finder, and there is no option to quarantine or remove; just to acknowledge and close the scan. How do i get this off? I see it was discovered in 2005 so what gives; why can't I remove it? From what I've read it's a Windows infection; and poses almost no risk, but i would feel better with my virus scan being clean when i run it. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's a Windows only Trojan, not a virus.

Open Finder - from the Go menu choose Go To Folder
Enter /private/tmp and press ok to open the folder

Now you can delete the file

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Most long term Mac users do not use antivirus software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. If you fell uncomfortable with this consider ClamXAV which is freeware and highly recommended by Mac users. Suggest steering clear of commercial av software.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Most long term Mac users do not use antivirus software as there are no Mac OS X viruses. If you fell uncomfortable with this consider ClamXAV which is freeware and highly recommended by Mac users. Suggest steering clear of commercial av software.
Hi Harryb.... - new to the forum & to OS X (but not new to computers - first one an Apple II+ in 1980, then PCs until my retirement, now transitioning back to Apple - don't need the work compatibility).

For several years, I played w/ a Linux distro (Unbuntu) on an old IBM laptop and used ClamAV, mainly concerned w/ passing on PC viruses to others using that OS - NOW I have a new MBP which is my personal computer and not planning to worry about an AV program for myself.

However, I'm about to replace my wife's old Dell PC w/ an iMac (w/i a week or so) - she is quite active w/ friends and voluntary online sites (writing etc.) that mostly are using PCs - is there a concern about transmitting PC 'malware' to those systems - I know that these 'baddies' will have no harm on OS X but could still be transferred to a PC via the internet - this is my only issue w/ her using a new iMac; if not important, then not a worry for me. Thanks for any comments or those by others - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Depends on how you look at it. Do you know any Windows users that don't have a realtime AV software protecting their computer? I'm of the branch that believe Windows users should maintain their own AV software (as I do - and I still am a regular Windows user - 8+ hrs a day using 4 different Win machines daily) and not have a realtime AV on my Macs.

For years, about once every 9-12 months, it was easier to blow away my wife's computer and reinstall Windows than it was to remove the myriad infections she had on her machine - didn't matter what protection I put on there. I transitioned her over to a Mac mid '07 - she's still using the same Mac - that's gone through 3 upgrades to the OS - I run ClamXav on her machine about once a year - so far, nothing found.

Using a realtime AV is the only way you're going to help protect your Windows using friends if your wife is like mine - forwarding all those junk emails (albeit cute) right along to her friends without a second thought.

Some Mac AV software only protects against Mac malware - some only protect against Windows malware - and some protect against both - time to research prior to just picking one if you decide there is a need. For the latest testing have a read here.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Some Mac AV software only protects against Mac malware - some only protect against Windows malware - and some protect against both - time to research prior to just picking one if you decide there is a need. For the latest testing have a read here.
Thanks Bobtomay for that link above to the The Safe Mac Guides - been reading several over the last hour or more! As expected, Java receives a lot of attention - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Follow same line of thought as bobtomay. On Windows 8 and XP on a Dell Latitude use Microsoft Security Essentials. Free and simple to update and scan.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where are all of these files stored? (newbie) | Oxs 10.8.3 »