New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Clean install of 10.6

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I want to do a clean install of 10.6 over 10.5 Leopard (to make sure all bugs are cleaned out) and then restore everything from my time machine backup. How can I do this in the fewest number of steps?

Also, how do I make sure 10.6 is running in 64bit once installed?

many thanks,
j
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Do a full Time Machine backup
Put the Snow Leopard disc in
Restart your Mac holding option
Select the Snow Leopard disc to boot from
Use Disk Utility in the installer to format your MacHD to Mac HFS+ journaled GUID
continue through the install
On first reboot you'll be asked if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes and choose the Time Machine restore option
Follow the instructions, wait for the restore to complete and............ You done

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
JoshJ

JoshJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Do a full Time Machine backup
Put the Snow Leopard disc in
Restart your Mac holding option
Select the Snow Leopard disc to boot from
Use Disk Utility in the installer to format your MacHD to Mac HFS+ journaled GUID
continue through the install
On first reboot you'll be asked if you are migrating from another Mac, select yes and choose the Time Machine restore option
Follow the instructions, wait for the restore to complete and............ You done

Thanks a lot!
Whats the difference between "Mac HFS+ journaled GUID" & Extended Journaled? Have always formated to Extended Journaled in the past.
Also which HD disk do I choose when erasing? Is the the route 232.9 GB Toshiba MK2... or the "Macintosh HD? Always forget..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

A boot drive should be formatted as GUID.

As for which hard disk....... I can't answer that with knowing more about your Mac and the way you have it configured at present. Fundamentally, you want to be formatting the drive you currently boot from and have Leopard installed on.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Unless you've altered the default arrangements, it should almost always be "Macintosh HD" which, in Disk Utility" is listed as an indent under "Toshiba xyz...".

Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running Windows | Deleting Sparseimage files safely »