Install CD Restarting help

Question Install CD Restarting help
    First of all, hi from a newbie in the UK

And here’s my problem-

I've forgotten my password, and have got sick of trying to guess what it is.
    So, I have elected to use “Install CD” method to re set my password. But before I go ahead and do this there’s a few points I want to know:-

Is there a chance I could wipe anything from my machine by using this method? Does it make the computer perform a factory re-set?

If I make a mistake at any stage in the process, are there any risks I could screw my laptop up?

And my biggest fear is that I will end up locking myself out of my computer, and unable to use it somehow. (with my nature of work that would be very, very, very bad) Can that happen?

Sorry, I really am clueless with this.

Two more points:

My machine is a 2011 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard which is working with no problems (I hope).

I have both a “Mac OS X Install DVD” and an “Applications Install DVD”, which came with my laptop. Which one should I use?

Thanks in advance!

I've never done it before, but no, you won't lose your files, at least as long as you do it properly. You should at least make a backup of any important files you simply can't risk losing, though you should be doing that already. Here's a tutorial on a couple ways to do it. One is a sneaky way of doing it without using an install disk. If you do use an install disk, then use the “Mac OS X Install DVD”.

Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Many thanks for that . I will go ahead and do it now.

Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Suggest using your CD. Terminal is pretty powerful magic if you are not familiar with it.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information