New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Install CD Restarting help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LordHoy

LordHoy is on a distinguished road

First of all, hi from a newbie in the UK

And here’s my problem-

I've forgotten my password, and have got sick of trying to guess what it is.
So, I have elected to use “Install CD” method to re set my password. But before I go ahead and do this there’s a few points I want to know:-

Is there a chance I could wipe anything from my machine by using this method? Does it make the computer perform a factory re-set?

If I make a mistake at any stage in the process, are there any risks I could screw my laptop up?

And my biggest fear is that I will end up locking myself out of my computer, and unable to use it somehow. (with my nature of work that would be very, very, very bad) Can that happen?

Sorry, I really am clueless with this.

Two more points:

My machine is a 2011 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard which is working with no problems (I hope).

I have both a “Mac OS X Install DVD” and an “Applications Install DVD”, which came with my laptop. Which one should I use?

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I've never done it before, but no, you won't lose your files, at least as long as you do it properly. You should at least make a backup of any important files you simply can't risk losing, though you should be doing that already. Here's a tutorial on a couple ways to do it. One is a sneaky way of doing it without using an install disk. If you do use an install disk, then use the “Mac OS X Install DVD”.

Forgot Mac Password? How to Reset Your Mac Password (with or without CD)

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
LordHoy

LordHoy is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for that . I will go ahead and do it now.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Suggest using your CD. Terminal is pretty powerful magic if you are not familiar with it.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X 10.8.2 | OSX Root Certificate »