Help with Bitcoin terminal instructions
    OK so I am trying to make all my work space secure especially bitcoin wallet. However I am reading this instructions:
    Backup all data
    Follow these instructions to backup all the bitcoin data (wallet and block chains) to an encrypted disk image.

Open Disk Utility

Click New Image and choose a big enough size, 128-bit or 256-bit (faster or more secure) encryption and single partition.

Save it somewhere you won't lose it (like your Wuala, Dropbox, Strongspace or whatever)

Choose a safe and strong password

Move everything from ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/ to the image

Symlink it back so the app would be able to use it

ln -s /Volumes/Bitcoin ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin

Don't forget to mount your image before using Bitcoin and unmount it after quitting.

But I get lost on the last 3 steps can anyone please explain them to a computer idiot. Thanks

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    What did you name your disk image? It's assuming you named it Bitcoin. So you make a softlink/symlink to it (while it's still mounted) using the ln command.
    If you named it something else, use the name in the command, eg: ln -s /Volumes/NAME
    To break it dowm...
    ln -s (make a link, in this case a soft link)
    /Volumes/Bitcoin (what the link is pointing to, the disk image which when mounted is in /Volumes)
    ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin (where the link is - which is wrong because a path with a space needs to be escaped in the shell so it would be:
    ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin Notice the extra \ )

Also don't forget to mount the disk image before using your bitcoin software.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    What did you name your disk image? It's assuming you named it Bitcoin. So you make a softlink/symlink to it (while it's still mounted) using the ln command.
    If you named it something else, use the name in the command, eg: ln -s /Volumes/NAME
    To break it dowm...
    ln -s (make a link, in this case a soft link)
    /Volumes/Bitcoin (what the link is pointing to, the disk image which when mounted is in /Volumes)
    ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin (where the link is - which is wrong because a path with a space needs to be escaped in the shell so it would be:
    ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin Notice the extra \ )

Also don't forget to mount the disk image before using your bitcoin software.
    Thank you for answering. I named it 'secure workspace' But I dont understand the rest I am sorry I dont want to risk playing around until I understand how to do it. Is there anyway you can make it a bit more simple?

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    What you're doing is making a link so the program thinks it's looking at ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin but it's actually looking at /Volumes/Bitcoin. Kinda like using an alias.
    In your case the command would be: ln -s /Volumes/'secure workspace' ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin
    Notice I 'escaped' the filename because it contained a space. Do yourself a favor, don't use spaces in filenames. Makes things easier when typing paths in Terminal.
    Also, make sure you've copied whatever is in ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin to your disk image before doing this. In case you didn't know, ~ means your Home folder. So copy the Bitcoin folder which is in ~/Library/Application Support to the disk image.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

Thread Information