New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help with Bitcoin terminal instructions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gravitate

gravitate can only hope to improve

OK so I am trying to make all my work space secure especially bitcoin wallet. However I am reading this instructions:
Backup all data
Follow these instructions to backup all the bitcoin data (wallet and block chains) to an encrypted disk image.

Open Disk Utility

Click New Image and choose a big enough size, 128-bit or 256-bit (faster or more secure) encryption and single partition.

Save it somewhere you won't lose it (like your Wuala, Dropbox, Strongspace or whatever)

Choose a safe and strong password

Move everything from ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/ to the image

Symlink it back so the app would be able to use it

ln -s /Volumes/Bitcoin ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin

Don't forget to mount your image before using Bitcoin and unmount it after quitting.

But I get lost on the last 3 steps can anyone please explain them to a computer idiot. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

What did you name your disk image? It's assuming you named it Bitcoin. So you make a softlink/symlink to it (while it's still mounted) using the ln command.
If you named it something else, use the name in the command, eg: ln -s /Volumes/NAME
To break it dowm...
ln -s (make a link, in this case a soft link)
/Volumes/Bitcoin (what the link is pointing to, the disk image which when mounted is in /Volumes)
~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin (where the link is - which is wrong because a path with a space needs to be escaped in the shell so it would be:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin Notice the extra \ )

Also don't forget to mount the disk image before using your bitcoin software.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
gravitate

gravitate can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
What did you name your disk image? It's assuming you named it Bitcoin. So you make a softlink/symlink to it (while it's still mounted) using the ln command.
If you named it something else, use the name in the command, eg: ln -s /Volumes/NAME
To break it dowm...
ln -s (make a link, in this case a soft link)
/Volumes/Bitcoin (what the link is pointing to, the disk image which when mounted is in /Volumes)
~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin (where the link is - which is wrong because a path with a space needs to be escaped in the shell so it would be:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin Notice the extra \ )

Also don't forget to mount the disk image before using your bitcoin software.
Thank you for answering. I named it 'secure workspace' But I dont understand the rest I am sorry I dont want to risk playing around until I understand how to do it. Is there anyway you can make it a bit more simple?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

What you're doing is making a link so the program thinks it's looking at ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin but it's actually looking at /Volumes/Bitcoin. Kinda like using an alias.
In your case the command would be: ln -s /Volumes/'secure workspace' ~/Library/Application\ Support/Bitcoin
Notice I 'escaped' the filename because it contained a space. Do yourself a favor, don't use spaces in filenames. Makes things easier when typing paths in Terminal.
Also, make sure you've copied whatever is in ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin to your disk image before doing this. In case you didn't know, ~ means your Home folder. So copy the Bitcoin folder which is in ~/Library/Application Support to the disk image.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Difference between "dd" function in terminal and "restore" function in disk utility? | Time Capsule extending network to Airport extreme »