Exclamation How to tell if file is saved on flash or magnetic storage in fusion drive?
    Hi,

I am trying to see the movement of my files and I need to be able to tell the physical location of my files. How can I tell if my files are stored on the main hard disk or on flash memory?

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Technically, the SSD and HDD should show up as a single volume and the files will move between the two devices automatically and I can't imagine there'd be a way for you to know when a file is in the SSD and whe it got moved to the HDD, that should be transparent..

I gotta ask why you'd want to know where the file is? If the system is functioning properly, then the files that you access all the time should be moved to the SSD and accessible faster than they would be if they were still on the HDD...
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    To add to what "Raz0rEdge" stated in his reply, you might also wish to read the following article from PC Mag explaining about file storage on Apple's Fusion drive: LINK

Re:
    I am looking at it more from a research perspective than an end user's perspective and the lack of documentation on the Fusion Drive is frustrating. I feel pretty confident that I have covered all easily searchable online sources.

I am trying to see whether the files are actually moved into the flash memory if I use it more, and for that I first needed to figure out how to tell which part of the physical drive a file is stored in.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    I don't thing you'll find any user level tools to inspect that. The transition should be transplant to you. The only way to know for certain would require doing it from the hardware perspective that you cannot do easily..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Information