New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't Write to external hard drive any more

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Plexberry

Plexberry is on a distinguished road

Hi there

Suddenly, for no reason, I can't write to my external hard drives any more. I can read from them but not write.

I have clicked on more info - clicked the padlock at the bottom but it doesn't give me any options.

I am logged in as admin user - as I'm the only one who uses it.

Any idea what I can/could do?

Thanks

All the best
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

How is this external drive formatted? If you're not sure, examine it with Disk Utility (and indeed I would suggest repairing the drive with DU unless it's formatted for PCs).
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Hi! Thanks for reply

They are OSX (journaled) formatted

All MAC formatted from new

All worked fine since bought (talking a number of years, some a year and some only a few months old) but now they are all locked - I can only view things on them

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Oh and Disk Utility says there are no problems with them
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

(need more background info)
Do you use these with more than one Mac? more than one User?

use the Terminal (utility) to run the command:
ls -alOe /Volumes

(make sure to include the correct spaces - maybe copy/paste)
(this gives the permissions in unix format - please show us the result)

PS - I meant to tell you to run the Terminal command with all drives mounted.
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Hi! Thanks ill try that when home!

They connect to only one mac directly but I access them
Through the network etc via mac book pro, iPad, iPhone etc etc
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

@gshali

Hi there - thank you for your helpful tip.

Unfortunately it didn't work. It worked in terminal i.e it printed up onto screen text relating to the drives etc. BUT they are still locked and I can't write to them

Thanks - any other ideas? :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Oops - just seen you want the result! I'll do that... when I'm on computer next! sorry!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexberry View Post
Unfortunately it didn't work. It worked in terminal i.e it printed up onto screen text relating to the drives etc. BUT they are still locked and I can't write to them
It's not good to assume everything you are asked to do is "the fix."
People who are good with computers - or electronics or mechanical devices, etc. will generally focus on troubleshooting first, so they have a better idea what to fix.
Please, this is not meant to be condescending - we really can't help without more info!
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Hi there

Terribly sorry for the delay but I'd replied - or thought I had. I think I got distracted, didn't press send and upon checking now, I realise it's not posted!

Anyway... I shall take your true and useful information about not assuming everything is the fix. It's good to know.

However, in this case you did fix it!!! Next time I used it after running what you asked me to every thing was fine. And still is!

If things change I'll come on here... but for now I can't thank you enough!
QUOTE Thanks
Plexberry

Hi @gshali - just wanted to let you know that everything is going fine with the drive since (fingers crossed! lol) so thank you! Life saver! :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Custom file formats not read by application on Mountain Lion | Internet Problems »