Is this possible?
    Hey guys! My first post on this forum! I am a Mac user I have a Macbook Air (late 2011) and was thinking about purchasing an iMac via Craigslist. Well I ran across a good condition iMac G5 and i realize that it isn't possible to get OSX Mountain Lion on it because it doesn't have an intel processor. I was just wondering if there is any way possible if I could upgrade the iMac G5 and install an intel processor into it so that I could run it and run it faster. Also I want to, if I purchase it, install new ram so it runs faster and is better. SO if there is a way to do that please let me know how I can do so and how to do it. Thank you!! I really appreciate it. I am not to knowledgable on building computing stuff. So I am trying to learn all I can about macs inside and out! I really want to learn more, I do know some more basic information but I want to learn it so that I can do my degree in CAD so then hopefully I can run macs and design things. Thank you!

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    There's no way to put an Intel processor in a G5.

You may be able to put more ram in depending on which model it is and what's in there already.

However, I'd suggest that unless you need the power PC architecture it's worth saving a bit more and getting an intel based machine
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Okay, I figured that much, I was thinking the same thing... wasn't sure though. A new iMac is pretty expensive lol so I was just seeing my options. And just curious I may be buying a Macbook(white, 2007?2008?) would I be able to install OSX Mountain Lion onto it?

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB flash memory, 3.3GHz, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra beta.
    If it were possible we would have all done it lol!

Late 2008 Aluminium MB the earliest that can run Mountain Lion.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

lol I thought so! And just wondering, I'm becoming familiar with the site right now, and where do I find specs on Apple computers, I kinda want to teach myself about computers. I have always had the interest I just haven't dived into it to much. Like I want to know about the internals and what they do and such.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    You'll get Lion onto that but not Mountain Lion
    System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

is that because it has a duel core in it?

Specs:
    It'll likely have a core2duo (which is ok) but its the gma900 graphics that aren't up to running the features of Mountain Lion.

are the graphics upgradable?

Specs:
    I'm afraid not, as with 99% of all notebooks, the graphics processor is integrated.

As a rule of thumb only RAM and hard disks are easily upgradable on notebooks.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    everymac.com

Mactracker.ca
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Lion is no longer available, which should be noted with ANY mentions of Lion so as not to confuse/frustrate switchers who don't know this.

Thread Information