New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

My iMac wont start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rlionnet

Rlionnet is on a distinguished road

So I got an iMac from my uncle and I was doing the restore to factory settings. I've got up to reinstalling the Mac OS X Lion. Sometimes it stops half way. I've tried to switch my iMac on without going to the disk utilities but when it starts up, it makes the normal noise, I see the apple logo and then I see a circle with a line inside (like the no smoking sign except without the cigarette)
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Can you explain, exactly, the process you've gone through to get to this point please

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

Ok so i used the instructions from the user manual. Restarted my iMac and pressed 'comman+r' to get to the Utility box. Selected Disk Utility and erased and renamed the disk on the left. Then quit disk utilty and went to reinstall mac os X Lion. this is where im stuck. either it stops and says can't complete and when i try to just restart my mac i got the apple logo and then the prohibitory sign....anything I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

What options did you choose when formatting?

Did the Mac originally come with Lion?

Are you connected to the Internet?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

options...i used the erase function using mac os x (journaled)
i am connected to the internet
not sure if it originally came with Lion. It was bought middle of 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

So long as the disc is formatted Mac OS journaled GUID partition it should be ok..... Unless you've erase the recovery partition.

If this is the case you'll need to use Internet recovery by holding CMD + Option + R on startup

QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

ok so i will try this and get back to u. I'm new to Macs so i hope i haven't messed it all up!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

I'm currently trying this. It says Internet recovery this may take a while and then it comes to a box with available wifi in my house. And it stays there. Should it do this? It's been ages and its still showing the globe with all available wifi even if I've clicked on one.
QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

It's now saying apple.com/support
-2002F

What's this???
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Internet recovery can be slow as it has to download the 4gb lion installer. But it's your only option if you've erased the recovery partition.

You will need to select your wifi and enter the key, or connect it by cable

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You may need to temporarily change the security on your wireless network to WPA rather than WPA 2

QUOTE Thanks
Rlionnet

Ok gosh...such hard work....
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's a bit of a pain yes. But it sounds as though there may have been issues before you started.

Once you have a working system again I'd suggest making a bootable Lion install disc or USB.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air Problems | Can't empty trash iMac V10.6.8 »