New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How come I cannot delete some files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

satanicsurferz

satanicsurferz is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.3... and I noticed this week that there are some files I cannot delete...

Let me explain more...

I can see those files when doing a search in Finder (one .zip file I downloaded recently, some temp .js files used by Firefox and some more), but those file doesn't have an icon (blank square).
I know for sure I don't need those files, so I want to delete them, but I cannot drag them to the recycle bin nor use the delete key.

When I double-click on them, I receive this error:
"The alias "filename" can't be opened because the original item can't be found".

I click on the "Delete Alias" but it doesn't change a thing.
Those looks like "zombie" files.

How can I delete them?
Or is it the search index that is not up-to-date? (It's been more than a week since I noticed that though).

Is there anything I can do?
Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Try holding down the command key and dragging the icon to the Trash. It's worth a shot. Works for a few other situations.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

if you can drag the files to the trash like toMACsh said, when you delete the trash, in the finder, click on the finder from the top left of the screen and secure empty the trash. That may work.
QUOTE Thanks
satanicsurferz

I cannot drag the file to the trash... even by holding the command key.
It looks like the files are not there anymore... but still appears when I do a search in the Finder. I would really like to get rid of those files.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
satanicsurferz

I made some more researches and I found a post saying to reset the Spotlight index:
Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

I did that... it took about 15 minutes... and now all the "ghost" files are gone!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Good deal !
I wouldn't have thought of that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fonts | Mountain Lion Hosts File »