Specs:
    Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
    2008 Black MacBook-Can't Read Restore CDs
    Hey all! I want to restore my MacBook back to it's factory settings, but it won't read my original Install/Restore CDs! It is currently running OSX 10.7.5, so I believe it won't read them because the CDs were made during the PowerPC to Intel switch era, and Lion doesn't have Rosetta like Snow Leopard did. The install CDs are for 10.5.2.

What can I do about this, if anything? I'm at sort of a loss here... thanks!

Specs:
    Mac Plus, IIcx, IIci, Centris 650, Supermac s900, Beige G3 minitower, iMac, eMac, iBook, BlackBook
    MacBook Specs:
    Model: 4,1
    CPU: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 MB

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by phalanx View Post
    Hey all! I want to restore my MacBook back to it's factory settings, but it won't read my original Install/Restore CDs! It is currently running OSX 10.7.5, so I believe it won't read them because the CDs were made during the PowerPC to Intel switch era, and Lion doesn't have Rosetta like Snow Leopard did. The install CDs are for 10.5.2.

What can I do about this, if anything? I'm at sort of a loss here... thanks!
    If these are the original gray discs that shipped with the computer:

- boot the computer from the CD #1 (hold down the "c" key when rebooting the computer)
    - then reinstall the OS.

Good Luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    They are the grey disks, however whenever I put the disk in and hold the 'C' key at startup it spins in the drive for a minute and the computer spits it right back out. It then proceeds to boot normally to Lion/current operating system =[

Specs:
    They are the grey disks, however whenever I put the disk in and hold the 'C' key at startup it spins in the drive for a minute and the computer spits it right back out. It then proceeds to boot normally to Lion/current operating system =[
    Maybe the problem is a busted or dirty optical drive...or dirty/scratched/damaged disks.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Are they the original discs, or did you borrow/buy them used?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Success! I used an external disk drive and it worked flawlessly. What a fluke, I wonder what's wrong with my internal drive... thanks for your help Nick.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    The internal drive on the Black MacBooks was prone to failure, particularly after a period of heavy use.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Take a can of compressed air as a first round of troubleshooting a slot loading optical drive and shoot 3-4 quick bursts in different directions in the slot - while the machine is powered down and unplugged preferably. And do make sure the discs are clean - and no scratches.

While slot loaders seem to be more prone to failure based on the number of posts we see, the above action about once a year has restored the slot loader in my 6 yr old MBP every time it has quit reading discs - at least so far.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Success! I used an external disk drive and it worked flawlessly. What a fluke, I wonder what's wrong with my internal drive... thanks for your help Nick.
    Congratulations! As bobtomay suggested...blow it out with some canned air. Let's hope it is just dirty. But as chas_m mentioned...the slot loading optical drives can be less reliable then the tray loading optical drives that used to be found in all desktops...so there is the possibility that the drive may have failed.

Fingers crossed that it's just some dirt.

- Nick

Thread Information