New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Snow Leopard on late 2011 macbook 17"??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plastictractor

plastictractor is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Looking to buy an i7 late 2011 macbook pro 17" and want to run SL on it.
I have an original 10.6 SL disk. Will this install on the macbook?
If not how do i do it??
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
plastictractor

Did some of the late 2011 macbooks ship lion and some with SL do you know?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You, traditionally, cannot install an older version of OS X than what came on the Mac. The 2011 model either comes with Lion or upgraded to Mountain Lion. You can only reliably go foward from there, not backward.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastictractor View Post
Looking to buy an i7 late 2011 macbook pro 17" and want to run SL on it.
I have an original 10.6 SL disk. Will this install on the macbook?
The last MacBook Pro's that were able to run Snow Leopard were the "Early 2011" models. If you need to run Snow Leopard...and you want the newest MacBook Pro possible...then an "Early 2011" model is what you want.

Quote:
If not how do i do it??
This is a very interesting statement. If it can't be done...it can't be done. If your told that SL cannot be installed on that MacBook Pro...then it can't be do. You don't say..."If not...how do I do it??"

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
plastictractor

well there is a number of people saying that you can..

If you have another Mac, do a Clean Install of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard onto that, run all the updates and then, if the Mac has Firewire, use Target Disk Mode to connect the new MBP to the older Mac and clone the 10.6.8 OS onto the new MBP via CarbonCopyCloner.

some others have said if you can get hold of a SL 10.6.7 disk then it will work off that.
hence the 'if not how do i do it?'. It doesn't work from the original SL disk apparently. But there is ways around it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
well there is a number of people saying that you can..

some others have said if you can get hold of a SL 10.6.7 disk then it will work off that.
hence the 'if not how do i do it?'. It doesn't work from the original SL disk apparently. But there is ways around it.
If you ask enough people...eventually you will find some people who will swear humans can fly too!

Since the "Late 2011" MacBook Pro's are only 1 generation newer than the last MacBook Pro that could "officially" run SL (the "Early 2011" MacBook Pro's)...maybe there is some sort of "hack" or "creative method" that can get SL running on it. If it does work...it's possible that it may be a little bit "flakey", less stable, or all features won't work properly.

All I can say is..."officially" "Late 2011" MacBook Pro's are not supposed to be able to run SL.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Well suggest asking the 'others' and doing it their way and see what you are left with.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dock Overlapping question | Mountain Lion, now won't connect to NAS »