New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help | Left click not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Apsix

Apsix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15", Mid 2010 ,2.3 GHz i5, 8GB, SSD | OS X ML

Hi,

My left click suddenly stop responding, sometime the hot corners and dock stop responding as well (I'm pretty sure it's related to the same problem, it didn't occurred before), I can move the cursor and use the right click, only left is damaged somehow.

Tried solutions which didn't solve:
Fixed Permissions.
I did backup thru time machine, clean install, restore and still the problem repeats.

*Left click didn't work also thru the boot while did new installation.
*Trackpad and the Magic mouse as well.

Appreciate your kind help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You're not going to get much help, if any at all, unless you tell us.....

Year and model of your Mac?

Which version of OS X it's running?
QUOTE Thanks
pretzeliz

pretzeliz is on a distinguished road

This happened to my dad and when I went to his house to help I noticed he had a crumb (or something) stuck in his keyboard that was keeping the control button engaged. We vacuumed it out and viola!

Hope your problem is solved soon!
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You're not going to get much help, if any at all, unless you tell us.....

Year and model of your Mac?

Which version of OS X it's running?
Hi cshcag, thx for replying!

My mac is MacBook Pro i5, Mid 2010, 15".

Mountain Lion 10.8.3
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzeliz View Post
This happened to my dad and when I went to his house to help I noticed he had a crumb (or something) stuck in his keyboard that was keeping the control button engaged. We vacuumed it out and viola!

Hope your problem is solved soon!
Thx for replying!

However, I've checked each button, even open the mac with tools and unfortunately everything seems to be look good, but the problem repeats..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for posting back. Boot your machine to the Recovery Partition:

Reboot and hold down the command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the boot sound. Once in recovery, select "Utilities". From Utilities, select "Disk Utility". From Disk Utility, run "Repair Permissions". After that's finished, exit recovery and boot back to normal mode. Let's see if that solved the problem.

I know you said you fixed permissions, but unless the hard drive is dismounted, repairing permissions doesn't always work. If that fails to solve the problem, post back and we'll try something else.
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Quote:
OK, thanks for posting back. Boot your machine to the Recovery Partition:

Reboot and hold down the command and r keys at the same time as soon as you hear the boot sound. Once in recovery, select "Utilities". From Utilities, select "Disk Utility". From Disk Utility, run "Repair Permissions". After that's finished, exit recovery and boot back to normal mode. Let's see if that solved the problem.
Thx for quick reply, even thru Recovery mode I can't use the Left click.

However, 2 days ago, when the problem occurred, I did:
Backup with time machine.
Boot into recovery mode.
Repaired permissions, erase Macintosh HD.
Clean install from my usb boot installation which i made.
Restore thru time machine.

All the way I didn't have the Left click.
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Another thing happened to me that made me make new install is kernel panic few days before. (See attached)

Suddenly everything safari stop responding, then the mac stop and when i did restart i got the message in the attachment.

So it gave me good reason to make new installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (406.2 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I can't really read the KP good enough (image too small) to make heads or tails what it's saying. But why don't you try this:

Boot to safe mode: Reboot and hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot sound. When in safe mode try using the left click from the track pad and mouse. Let's see if it works there.
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Quote:
I can't really read the KP good enough (image too small) to make heads or tails what it's saying. But why don't you try this:

Boot to safe mode: Reboot and hold down your shift key as soon as you hear the boot sound. When in safe mode try using the left click from the track pad and mouse. Let's see if it works there.
I boot into safe mode (it's super slowly), I can use Magic Mouse left click BUT:
1. First time I hover the dock to see Magnification work, it did but very slow, I click wherever I can in order to test the reaction, after 1 or 2 minutes the Mac Freeze so I hole the power button to shut it down.
2. Second time I still stayed in the login screen, without to enter my user and once I touch the builtin Trackpad, it's stop responding.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That may indicate a problem with the hard drive. Boot back to the Recovery partition, run Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it reports back. Since the left click seemed to work OK in safe mode we may be dealing with a software glitch. But let's wait and see what Disk Utility says about the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Quote:
That may indicate a problem with the hard drive. Boot back to the Recovery partition, run Disk Utility and do a verify - repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it reports back. Since the left click seemed to work OK in safe mode we may be dealing with a software glitch. But let's wait and see what Disk Utility says about the hard drive.
Ok will update
QUOTE Thanks
Apsix

Verified, no need repair. HD is healthy.

What else can try?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« no secondary hard drive icon | Two Macbooks on different OS X »