New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Slow macbook strange behaviour

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arnondb

arnondb is on a distinguished road

Hi all.
I would appreciate your advice.
I run a (white) macbook
[specs: processor: 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 duo. memory: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3]
The hard drive has a 320G capacity (I had it changed from the original one because the original hard drive "died") out of which about a 220 G only are in use. (Lots of free space).
OSx 10.8.3
The problems I will shortly describe happened also with the computer's original hard drive.

The computer is relatively slow, in most aspects:
Preview is very slow, almost unresponsive.
Firefox/Safari are quite slow, sometimes get unresponsive.
Even the sound and brightness buttons react slow and the animation of the sound and brightness is very slow.
Programs tend to take forever to quit (Sibelius for example).

I have repaired the permissions, verified the disk, after reading in this forum I have downloaded Onyx and "cleaned" the disk with it but to no avail.
I have even reinstalled the system two days ago and had little or no change at all.
I know that these actions are slow because my old mac (4 years older than this one), preforms them in a friction of the time it takes my mac to do them.

Do you have any recommendations for me except being patient when I use my mac?

Thanks!
Arnon
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Use the console utility and see if: any process is stuck using a high amount of CPU or ram, or, there are processes you think you quit but are still running.
Read logs and see if there are any repeating messages (like 5 or more times a minute).
Or, any reported hardware failures in the messages.

PS - I mis-typed - you use the Activity monitor to check CPU and memory use, you use Console to read logs!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Running 10.8.3 in 2GB of RAM?

I think that's your problem right there.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

chas_m has a good point. I should have also asked you - slow compared to what? - before you upgraded to mountain lion, or compared to 3 months ago, etc?

One more troubleshooting step - create a new user, and log in to that user and try things. Is it still slow there?
QUOTE Thanks
arnondb

So, I run Onyx once more and restored a lot of the definitions to the original state.
It had somewhat helped.
The computer runs much smoother. Firefox is still slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
chas_m has a good point. I should have also asked you - slow compared to what? - before you upgraded to mountain lion, or compared to 3 months ago, etc?

One more troubleshooting step - create a new user, and log in to that user and try things. Is it still slow there?
As for your advise to downgrade the OS to Lion (that's what I gathered from your posts), I don't remember the computer being faster before.
Maybe I should downgrade and restore all definitions to original?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Really 2GB Ram is a bit lean for even Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Really 2GB Ram is a bit lean for even Lion.
My 2008 MacBook was a bit "pokey" when I had 2gig of ram running Lion. When I upgraded to 4gig of ram...things were much better.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
arnondb

So, you think that upgrading the RAM will help me get better results?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Definitely. You should max out whatever the limit is on that model.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS X app store upgrade | Macbook is slow…. on boot up »