Thread: Time Machine

Time Machine
    What exactly does time machine back up? Is my whole iTunes library backed-up, or do I still need to keep a backup of media files on a external HD? Thanks everyone!!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Time Machine will back up everything unless you specify in options that certain files or folders are to be excluded. Keep in mind that the first run of Time Machine will take considerable time to complete. Afterward, it will only back up what has changed. Also... Time Machine backups are not bootable.

Specs:
    Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
    Time machine backs up every file on your OS X computer. It will back up all of your itunes files to the time machine backup so there is no need for another external backup hard drive.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.6
    As stated, TM backs up everything including all your settings, preferences - the lot.

BUT, that's not a reason to forget additional BU options. TM, like any drive, could fail. One of the cloning options (Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!) could be considered, and they are re-bootable. CCC also preserves the recovery partition. Again, I would (and do) use EHDs to back up all my libraries (iTunes, iMovies, iPhoto, Aperture).

The truth is, you cannot have too much BU.

Ian

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Time Machine will back up everything unless you specify in options that certain files or folders are to be excluded. Keep in mind that the first run of Time Machine will take considerable time to complete. Afterward, it will only back up what has changed. Also... Time Machine backups are not bootable.
    Obtained the MacBook Pro the other day and likely will purchase an iMac in the next few months - so, backup is an important consideration and Time Machine (TM) seems to be a great choice - so just curious about the statement in bold above - if the computer crashes and needs an OS restoration, what are the options of retrieving one's computer information from a TM backup? TIA - just trying to prepare myself - Dave

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Many times you can boot into the recovery partition by pressing Command+R simultaneously to boot to the recovery partition. From there you can reload information from the Time Machine backup.

If the drive is so hosed that booting to the Recovery partition is impossible then the base OS would need to be installed then run the option to migrate data from a Time Machine backup.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    If you purchased a new machine it came pre-installed with Mountain Lion. By booting to the recovery partition (assuming the hard drive is operable) you can do a complete restore direct from the Time Machine backup drive.

However, the scenario you presented (hard drive crash) is a bit more involved. You would first have to install the operating system to the new hard drive and then recover your data from Time Machine. Which is why most of us also recommend making a cloned backup of your hard drive (which is bootable) using software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. I personally use CCC because it also clones the recovery partition.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    Thanks Guys for your prompt responses - I'm assuming that since I'll own a MacBook w/ SSD storage vs.a future iMac w/ a fusion drive (my present choice), is there a different paradigm regarding a backup policy? Again just trying to decide on my best BU options first for my current laptop and in a few months for a new iMac? Thanks again -

Thread Information